Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Milton Canterbury, M. D., of Redlands, was born in Greenup County, Kentucky. His father, Reuben Canterbury, a farmer, was born in North Carolina. The name originated in Kent County, England, from the estate of a man by that name, and for whom the city of Canterbury was named. Reuben Canterbury married Miss Elizabeth Lycaas, a native of Kentucky. The union was blessed with thirteen children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the eighth. He first attended the common schools of his native county and afterward attended a short time the college at Marietta, Ohio. From there he went to Missouri and took a course at Marion College. He then attended the Medical College of Ohio, and graduated in 1863 from the University of Iowa. After his graduation he practiced medicine for two years in Brown County, Illinois. In 1865 he went to Corvallis, Benton County, Oregon, where he practiced four years, and then practiced one year at Dallas, Polk County, Oregon. From the latter place he moved to California, where he has been a practicing physician most of the time for ten years.
On account of declining health he bought a ranch of 160 acres, six miles northeast of San Bernardino, on which he lived until January 1, 1889, when he established the drug store in Redlands. He is now located in the Young Men’s Christian Association building on State street, and is giving his whole attention to the drug business. Dr. Canterbury was married in 1845 to Sarah Wood, of Zanesville, Ohio, and they have had ten children, five of whom are still living, viz.: James Cyrus Canterbury, the oldest, who is a Baptist minister at Highlands; Lawrence A. is a machinist; Fantley W. and Milton F. are both ranchmen; Avis E. is the widow of Janes P. Ashby, and for five successive years has been a teacher in the public schools at Colton, California. Dr. Canterbury is an Odd Fellow and a Good Templar. He is a Prohibitionist and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.