Among the representative orange groves of that section of Riverside colony known as Brockton square, mention should be made of the one owned by Mr. Heller. His residence and land, ten acres in extent, is located on the south side of Rubidoux Avenue, about half a mile west of Brockton Avenue. Five acres of his tract is in oranges, about twelve years old from the seed; the balance, or three acres, is in budded trees of the Washington Navel and Mediterranean Sweet varieties; one acre of his land is devoted to raisin grapes, and one acre to alfalfa. At this writing Mr. Keller has resided on the place less than two years, but during that time he has shown that he is a practical horticulturist. His system of pruning and budding are unequaled, and are producing the best of results. Everything about the place, the neat cottage residence, suitable outbuildings, well ordered grounds, etc., denote the pleasant and comfortable California home.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Heller was born in Haynau, Province of Schlesien, Prussia, in 1824. His parents, Benjamin and Caroline (Sturm) Heller, were natives of Saxony: Mr. Heller was reared and schooled in his native place, and early in life apprenticed as a furrier. Upon the expiration of his apprenticeship he worked as a journeyman in Dresden, Hamburg, and other places until 1849. He then decided to try his fortunes in the New World, and in that year came to the United States. He first located in Michigan, and later in New York, where he remained until 1852, and then went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he established himself in business at his trade until 1857. In that year he moved to Illinois and located in Freeport, where he opened a hat, cap, and fur store, which he conducted for over thirty years. He was successful in his business, and ranked among the prominent and substantial merchants of that section. He was one of the original incorporators and a director of the well-known German Insurance Company of Freeport for over fifteen years. In political matters he has been a Republican from the organization of the party in 1856, and was a Union man and a strong supporter of the war measures during the Rebellion. In 1888, desirous of a more genial climate, he came to California and chose his present home for his future residence. He has entered heartily into his horticultural pursuits, and is destined to achieve the success in that he has won in other occupations.
In 1854 Mr. Heller married Miss Mary A. Sehottle, a native of New Jersey. She is the daughter of Charles and Catherine (Putz) Schottle, natives of Baden. The children by his marriage are: Emma, William, Antoinette, Edmund and Mamie.