Charles W. Fleming, editor and proprietor of the Phoenix, one of Riverside’s enterprising journals, was born in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, in 1858. He started in life’s work when about fifteen years of age, as an apprentice in a printing office at Mt. Holly Springs, and served an apprentice-ship of three years. When eighteen years of age he struck out for the great West, locating in Lincoln, Nebraska. He then established himself at his trade, and was engaged with the State Journal Company for some eight years. In 1885 he resumed his westward march, and in April of that year came to Riverside. He worked as a journeyman on the Riverside Press for some months, and then established the Commercial Job Office, which he conducted until 1887, and then sold to the Enterprise Company. During the next year Mr. Fleming was engaged in real estate and insurance business.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In June, 1888, the Tribune Publishing Company was incorporated, and the publication of the Riverside Daily Tribune started, with Mr. Fleming as business manager. The publication of that paper was suspended, December 30, 1888, and later he bought the presses, type, etc., and engaged in job printing, and June 1, 1889, issued the first number of the Phoenix, a weekly paper. He is the editor and proprietor of the paper, and also proprietor of the Phoenix Job Printing-office. Mr. Fleming has spent his life in printing and publishing enterprises, and is thoroughly a master of his calling. His paper is independent and outspoken, but, like its proprietor, may always be found supporting Riverside’s interests. He is a member of the Board of Trade, and for the first year of its organization was secretary of the board. Politically he is a stanch Republican, and a member of Sunnyside Lodge, No. 112, Knights of Pythias; also a member and Recorder of River-side Division, No. 30, Uniform Rank, of the same order, and District Deputy Grand Chancellor of the State for his section.
In 1882 Mr. Fleming wedded Miss Edith Roberts, a native of Nebraska. Her father, John Roberts, is a well-known pioneer of Otoe County, Nebraska, and is now a resident of Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California. The only child from this marriage is a daughter, named Cecile. Mr. Fleming’s parents, Isaac and Susan (Sheffield) Fleming, were natives of Pennsylvania. His father died in Nebraska, in 1885; his mother is now a resident of Riverside, California. He is one of a family of thirteen children, eleven of whom are grown to manhood and womanhood.