Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
A. Goodwin one of the members of the city council at Santa Ana, is a native of O the Golden State, being born in San Joaquin County, June 24, 1854. His parents were A. D. and Amantha (Brofee) Goodwin, the former a native of New York State, and the latter of Wisconsin. The senior Goodwin came to California in 1852, and engaged in mining for a time, and subsequently in agriculture, his death occurring at Tustin, January 9, 1886. The subject of this sketch, the eldest of his parents’ four children, was educated at the Washington High School in Stockton, graduating in 1873. He soon bought a ranch in San Joaquin County, whereon he followed farming until 1883. In 1880, however, he came to what is now Orange County and bought property west of Santa Ana, on the Los Bolsas tract, on which he erected a cheese factory and carried on the business for six years. He then became a citizen of Santa Ana. Here he purchased seventeen and one-half acres on North Main street, which he has laid out as the Goodwin addition to the city. The boundaries of it are, on the north, Seventeenth street; east, Wells and Shafer streets; south, Washington avenue; and west, Main street. This addition is laid out into lots, on which many beautiful residences have been erected. Mr. Goodwin also owns valuable business and residence property in different parts of the city, and he has interests also in both the First National and the Savings banks. He has aided by his influence and means the various local enterprises. April, 1889, he was elected as a member of the council, and his good judgment in regard to municipal affairs has made for him an enviable reputation.
February 14, 1875, Mr. Goodwin married. Miss Catharine Villinger, a daughter of Levi Villinger, a native of Germany and one of California’s pioneers. They have four children: Jesse, Pearl, William and Florence.