No person is more responsible for San Mateo County’s highway system than William H. Brown, Supervisor from the Second Township. The scenic boulevards which lure thousands of autoists into the county every day is a realization of Brown’s dream of years ago.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The second township shows Brown’s good roads mania. Practically all its paved roads and boulevards have been built during his term of office. At a cost of $10,000 he has just completed the resurfacing of the road from Beresford to Redwood City.
As a member of the Board of Supervisors and chairman for one term, Brown has worked faithfully for the interests of the county at large. At a speech delivered at San Bruno in 1912 he started the good roads movement that resulted in the passing of the $1,250,000 bond issue and the building for this county of one of the finest systems of boulevards in the United States.
Brown has also been exceedingly active in the affairs of San Mateo. In 1904 he was elected city trustee and he served one term as mayor. He was one of the organizers and the first foreman of the San Mateo fire department.
Mr. Brown has also been one of the mainstays of the San Mateo County Development Association, being a member of the Board of Governors.
William H. Brown came from one of California’s oldest families. He was born in Nevada County on January 11, 1862 and has spent his entire life in California, forty-five years of which was passed in San Mateo County. He was married in Oakland in 1893 and has a family of five boys and one girl. He belongs to several fraternal organizations.