R. T. Harris, the first Sheriff of Orange County, was born in Richmond, Virginia. His father, John Harris, a native of Cornwall, England, moved from Virginia to California in 1860, settling first in Mariposa County, and then in Santa Clara County, where the subject of this sketch clerked in a store and received a good education. In 1876 he located in Westminster, in the Santa Ana valley. For six years he engaged in mercantile business there, and also was assistant Postmaster. At the first election of officers ever held in the county of Orange, Mr. Harris was chosen Sheriff by over 1,700 majority. His two deputies are T. C. Hull and James Buckley.
Mr. Harris was married July 3, 1888, at Westminster, to Miss Maria Larter, a native of Canada, and they have one child, whose name is Geraldine. Their residence is on the corner of Third and Lowe streets, Santa Ana.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.