Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
J. H. Pierson, M. D., residing at Mission San Bernardino, is a native of New England, and came from a Puritan family on his father’s side, and an English Quaker family on his mother’s side. He is a son of Henry Pierson, a direct descendent of Abram Pierson, first president of Yale College, whose ancestors landed on Long Island in 1632.
The subject of this sketch resided several years in Europe engaged in the study of medicine, and in 1861 he came back to America, and in 1866 went to Lake Superior as physician and surgeon for the Anglo-American Copper & Lead Mining Company. In 1867 he went to Arizona as surgeon for the Vulture Gold Mining Company, and remained there until 1882. He was married in 1870. In 1882 his health having failed somewhat he determined to discontinue the practice of his profession and try rural life.
Accordingly he purchased a fine tract of 265 acres of land in Mission San Bernardino, on which he has over 1,000 orange trees, ten acres of peach trees, five acres of pears and other deciduous fruits. Here, surrounded by his family, the Doctor is leading a quiet life, looking after the education of his children and the interests of his farm.