WILLIAM F. BOYD. This gentleman is one of the substantial and prosperous farmers of Searcy County, Arkansas, and is well known as one of its best citizens. All his property has been accumulated by honest toil and good management, and he is now the owner of one of the best farms in this section, comprising 270 acres. Mr. Boyd first saw the light of day in this county February 1 , 1854, a son of John S. and Sarah J. (Leslie) Boyd, both of whom were born in Tennessee, the former being a son of Charles Boyd, one of the first settlers of this county, and the latter a daughter of Samuel Leslie. John S. Boyd was a child when brought to this county and here he reached mature years and was united in marriage with Miss Leslie in that section of the county in which their son, William F., now lives. After the celebration of their nuptials they purchased a good tract of land on Cave Creek on which the father made his home until he was killed at Pilot Knob, Missouri, while with Price on his raid through that State. Upon the death of his wife in 1862 their children were left fatherless and motherless. They were named as follows: Martha, wife of Joseph Blair; Samuel, who is engaged in farming; Mary E., wife of Frank Giles; A. G., who died some twelve years ago in Texas; J. M., who resides in this county; and William F. John S. Boyd was a Democrat in politics, was a worthy member of the Masonic fraternity, and had for some years been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
On the old homestead on Cave Creek the subject of this sketch grew up, and when he had attained the age of nineteen years he started out to do for himself. He was soon after united in marriage to Miss Sarah Thomas, a daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Brator) Thomas, who were among the pioneers of this State from Tennessee. Mrs. Boyd was born in Searcy County, and has borne her husband two children: Cornelius A. and Roy 0. Mr. Boyd’s present farm is admirably tilled, is very fertile, and the yearly income derived therefrom is in every way satisfactory. His homestead is situated about seven miles from Marshall, and is well improved with buildings of all kinds, fences, etc. He has always been a pronounced Democrat in his political views, and he and his estimable wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.