JAMES LITTLEFIELD. The subject of this sketch was for a number of years one among the many successful farmers of Baxter County, Arkansas, and is as conspicuous for his outspoken views in sanctioning that which is just and right as in his denunciation of that which he considers unjust and wrong. He is an intelligent citizen, and he wields considerable influence in the affairs of his section. He was born in Spartanburg District, South Carolina, April 4, 1829, a son of Joseph Littlefield, who was also a native of the Palmetto State. He moved to Caldwell County, Kentucky, when his son James was a lad, and there he engaged in tilling the soil until his removal to Arkansas in 1859, his death occurring here in 1880, when nearly ninety years of age. He was first a Whig but afterward a Democrat in politics. His wife, Sarah Harris, was born in South Carolina, was married there, but died in Arkansas in 1862 when sixty-three years of age. They were members of the Primitive Baptist Church, and became the parents of six children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the fifth, and three of whom are now living: Ellen is the widow of David T. Colley, and resides in Lawrence County, Missouri; Sarah Ann is the widow of Madison L. Ford, and lives in Scottsburgh, Caldwell County, Kentucky, and James.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The latter attended the common schools of his native county for a short time, but the most of his education has been acquired in the rough but most practical school of experience and by contact with the business affairs of life. He came with his father overland to Arkansas and located six miles northwest of where Mountain Home now is, where they purchased some land on which a little clearing had been done. When the war broke out James joined Company 1, Seventh Arkansas Infantry, and attained the rank of lieutenant. During the war he engaged in farming in the neighborhood of Gassville, then went to Douglas County, Missouri, where he remained two years, then took up his residence in Independence County, Arkansas After a time he came to Baxter County and cleared up a farm six miles northwest of Mountain Home, on which place he erected a gin, in partnership with Fred Hargrave. In 1874 he opened a mercantile establishment with Judge Russell, but one year later removed to the mouth of Big Creek on North Fork, where his home continued to be until the spring of IS82. For a short time he then resided in Texas, after which he embarked in business with Ben F. Bodenhammer, at Mountain Home Park, with whom he continued to be associated until 1890, since which time he has not been in the mercantile business. He is an extensive land owner, and the principal capitalist in the county, a state of affairs that has been brought about by good management, energy and thrift, and in the conduct of his affairs he has ever shown the utmost honesty, correct ideas and reason. He has always taken an active part in politics and has worked and voted for the success of Democracy. He is a Royal Arch Mason and is prominent in his lodge. In 1860 he led to the altar Miss Mary Cooper, who was born in Alabama, but they have remained childless.