DR. DAVID PERRY MARTIN. The most important science bearing upon man’s happiness, comfort and welfare is that of medicine, and as Dr. Martin has ever been a close student, he has attained a wide reputation as a successful practitioner of the “healing art.” He owes his nativity to Maries County, Missouri, where he first saw the light in 1846, his parents being Madison and Anastasia (Perry) Martin, the former of whom was born in St. Louis County, Missouri, in 1812. He is still living and is a citizen of Maries County. His wife was also born in St. Louis County, Missouri, was married there to Mr. Martin and after a short time moved to Maries County, where they cleared up the fine farm on which they are now living. The Martin family many years ago removed to St. Louis from North Carolina, and in the vicinity of that place some member of the family has ever since resided.
Dr. David Perry Martin was one of nine children born to his parents. In his youth he was given the advantages of the public schools of Maries County, and he wisely made the most of these opportunities. While still in his early manhood, his kindly nature instinctively turned to that broad field, medicine, for his life work, and he began fitting himself for that calling, Dr. John Blaine being his preceptor. In 1881 he attended the American Medical College of St. Louis, and in 1882 came to Arkansas and located for the practice of his profession in Baxter County. At the end of three years he took up his residence in Gassville where he has since held forth. He is an energetic practitioner, is recognized throughout the county as a friend of and laborer in the cause and advancement of the medical profession, and has acquired a flattering reputation as a physician Socially he is a member of the A. F. & A.M., the I. 0. 0. F., and in the latter order has held the position of noble grand. He was married in 1872 to Miss Mary C. Martin of Moniteau County, Missouri, and by her he is the father of seven sons and four daughters. He and his wife are worthy members of the Missionary Baptist Church and move in the highest social circles of their section.