BEVERLY B. EVETTS. The pages of history fail to disclose an older or more honorable calling than that of the farmer, and among its most honorable votaries is Beverly B. Evetts, who is a product of Smith County, Tennessee, where he was born April 2, 1847, to James H. and Sarah A. (Hubbard) Evetts, who were also natives of Smith County, and where they were reared and married. In 1847 they came to Arkansas and located in Wallace Township, Stone County, of which section they were among the very first settlers. After making several changes they located on the farm on which the subject of this sketch now resides, the most of which was woodland at the time of their purchase. This land Beverly B. Evetts helped to clear and improve, and it is now one of the finest places in the county.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The father was born in 1819 and died in 1871, but the mother, who was born in 1823, is still living, and makes her home with the subject of this sketch. She is a member of the Methodist Church, is a worthy woman and has many friends. The father was a Democrat politically, was a soldier in the Confederate Army for some time, and was a participant in the battle of Helena. His family consisted of three children: Andrew J., who was in the Seventh Arkansas Infantry, and died in the service; J. M., who resides on the old home place; and Beverly B.
The latter spent his school days here, and at the age of seventeen years enlisted in Anderson’s regiment, C. S. A., was in the Missouri raid, and took, part in all the engagements of that memorable campaign, and was also a participant in the battle near Fayetteville. At the close of the war he began to do for himself, and took the management of the old home farm into his own hands, and cared for his father until his death. The family own a fine farm of 300 acres, with 100 acres under cultivation, and Mr. Evetts and his brother are quite actively engaged in the raising of stock as well as farming, and are justly classed among the wide-awake farmers of their section, and as law-abiding and public-spirited citizens. Beverly B. has held the office of constable of his township, and in 1886 was elected to the responsible position of county sheriff, and was reelected in 1888, and made a faithful and efficient official. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and belongs to Buckhorn Lodge No. 303 of the A. F. & A. M. Politically he has always been a Democrat, and has always faith-fully supported the measures and men of that party.