Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
L. A. SAFFER. The vocation of the pharmacist is unquestionably a highly important one in any and every community, for upon his care and skill, almost as much as upon that displayed by the medical profession, oftentimes depends the physical welfare – nay, the life or death of the sick or suffering. Among the favorably known druggists of Harrison, Arkansas, may be mentioned the name of L. A. Saffer, who has an attractive and well-appointed store. He was born in Canton, Illinois, April 5, 1854, the elder of two children born to John M. and Martha M. (Barnes) Saffer, the former of whom was born in the Hoosier State and became an early settler of Illinois, to which State he removed with his father, William Saffer, and was there reared to a knowledge of farming, an occupation which he pursued of his own accord in later years. When the Civil War came up John M. Saffer at once enlisted in the Eighty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was one of the first to go forth to battle for his country, and was killed in the engagement at Kenesaw Mountain while with Sherman on his March to the Sea. He was a private, and was in a number of important engagements before the one in which he met his death. He was buried on the battlefield. The mother of the subject of this sketch was born in Indiana, a daughter of William Barnes, by whom she was taken at an early day to Fulton County, Illinois She was married in 1864 to John Hihath, who came to northwest Arkansas in the spring of 1872, and resided in this and Carroll Counties until his death in 1893. The mother is still living on a farm in the northern part of the county, and is in the enjoyment of good health. Her first union resulted in the birth of L. A. and William E. Saffer, the latter being a farmer in the northern part of this county, and a man of family, and to her second union five children were born: Anna; John N., who makes his home with his mother; Mary, Albert and Sarah J.
The common schools of his native county afforded L. A. Saffer a good practical education, but during the seven years that he resided in Kansas, after leaving his native State, he attended school there, and after taking up his residence in Carroll County, Arkansas, he attended the high school of Carrollton for some time. Upon leaving school he was engaged in teaching for two or three years, and became well known as an excellent educator and disciplinarian, but during this time he also tilled the soil and raised stock, in both of which occupations he met with excellent success. After a time he located in the immediate vicinity of Dry Fork, Arkansas, where he made his home until 1890, since which time he has been a successful druggist of Harrison, a calling for which he had odd moments fitted himself, being registered as a first-class pharmacist in 1891. He moved to his present place of business in 1893, and has the best appointed and most complete stock of drugs in Boone County, or in this part of the State. His business is very large, amounting to between $6,000 and $8,000 annually, and he also does a profitable jobbing business. He is a member of the Blue Lodge No. 314, Chapter No. 85, Commandery No. 10, of the A. F. & A. M., and in each of these lodges has held different offices, being an enthusiastic member of the order. He also belongs to Lodge No. 81, of the I. 0. 0. F. He held the office of justice of the peace in Carroll County, has always been a Democrat in politics, is interested in all public matters, and is extremely well posted on the popular questions of the day. He paved his own way to a start in life, is now in good circumstances financially, and may be classed as a strictly self-made man. He was married in 1878 to Mrs. Nancy J. Hammons, widow of William Hammons, of Carroll County, where she was born in 1857, a daughter of John and Margaret Walker, who were early residents of that county, but now live in Boone County. Mr. and Mrs. Saffer are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are among the highly honored citizens of Harrison.