JOSHUA W. C. HINKLE, M. D. The profession of medicine, while a very inviting field for the student and humanitarian, is one that demands much self-denial and the exercise of repression and the sacrifice of the ordinary methods of advancing one’s interests. Among the physicians of repute in Stone County, Arkansas, the subject of this sketch holds a prominent place for his attainment in his profession, his courteous treatment of his brethren, the success he has attained in the practice and his broad and considerate and devoted care of those who require his professional services, all combine to make him distinguished. He was born in Wayne County, Tennessee, July 18, 1848, a son of John D. and Irena (Beckham) Hinkle, who were born in the State of North Carolina. They were married in Wayne County, Tennessee, and about 1850 located near Melbourne, in Izard County, Arkansas, where the father died September 1, 1852,his birth having occurred in 1816. The mother still lives in Izard County, is in her sixty-eighth year, and is now the wife of Stephen Taylor. John D. Hinkle was a farmer and a very successful one. While in Tennessee he held the office of justice of the peace and politically was a Democrat. Four children were born to his union, of whom the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Dr. Hinkle was educated in the public schools of Izard County and at the early age of seventeen years turned his attention to school teaching in Izard and other counties, and when not thus engaged gave his attention to farming. While teaching school he commenced reading medicine and in 1883 he began a regular course under the instruction of Dr. John N. Nicks and in 1884-85 attended the American Medical College of St. Louis, and after practicing for some time with Dr. Nicks he, in 1886 came to Stone County and bought the farm where he now lives, about a mile and a half southeast of Mountain View, where he has since resided and built up a very extensive and constantly increasing practice among the best people of that section. At the same time he has conducted his farm, which comprises ninety-five acres, and has his place in an excellent state of cultivation and well improved. In 1877 he was married to Miss Lucy J. Ross, a daughter of James J. Ross, of Izard County, and to their union three sons and a daughter have been given. The Doctor and his wife are members of the Christian Church and socially he is a master Mason of Melbourne Lodge.