Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Hon. J. H. Kamper, who is carrying on general agricultural pursuits near North Cape, was born in Denmark, December 17, 1857, a son of Peter H. and Christina (Rasmussen) Kamper. The father was born in Denmark in 1822 and died in the year 1896, while the mother, whose birth occurred in 1820, passed away in 1894. They were married in Denmark and in 1866 became residents of Yorkville Township, Racine County, where Mr. Kamper rented land. Subsequently he purchased a farm in Raymond Township, a tract of fifty acres, which he carefully and successfully cultivated. He was a member of the Lutheran church in early life, but after coming to Wisconsin joined the Baptist church. He never became allied with any political party, but cast an independent ballot. The Kamper family is of German lineage, for the paternal grandfather, Hans Kamper, was born in Germany, whence he removed to Denmark.
J. H. Kamper is the only survivor of a family of six children. He pursued a district school education and when his textbooks were put aside, concentrated his efforts upon farm work, to which he has since given his attention. He was married in 1885 to Miss Ella Adland, a daughter of Knud and Phoebe (Drought) Adland. Her father located at North Cape, Wisconsin, in 1840, and established the first store there. He was postmaster for thirty-two years and gave it the name of North Cape in honor of North Cape in Norway, from which country he and most of the other early settlers of the town came. It has the distinction of being the only town of that name in the United States.
Mr. and Mrs. Kamper have become the parents of four sons, as follows: Leslie Haddock, who was born in August, 1886, and is now superintendent of King’s Model Laundry in Chicago; Ray Stanley, whose birth occurred on the 1st of June, 1891, and who is at home; Lloyd Vincent, who was born in August, 1894, and drives a delivery truck in Chicago, and Irwin Adland, who was born in September, 1899, and is a high school student.
Throughout the entire period of his manhood Mr. Kamper has carried on agricultural pursuits and now has one hundred and forty acres of rich and arable land, which he has brought to a high state of cultivation and to which he has added many improvements. The buildings upon the place include two large silos which he erected himself, and there is no equipment of the model farm that is lacking. His residence was erected in 1872, at a cost of forty-two hundred dollars, and there are splendid buildings for the shelter of grain and stock. He not only tills the fields but also does considerable dairying, keeping for this purpose thoroughbred Holstein cattle.
Mr. Kamper has never concentrated his energies upon private affairs to the exclusion of outside interests. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and also has membership with the Modern Woodmen of America and the United Order of Foresters. In politics he is a republican, recognized as one of the leaders in the local ranks of the party. Several times he has been called upon to fill positions of public honor and trust and twice he has represented his district in the general assembly, where he gave careful consideration to all questions which came up for settlement, supporting much important constructive legislation. On another occasion he and an opponent received an equal vote for the legislature. For fourteen years he has been a member of the town hoard, of which he is now chairman, having occupied that position for four years. He has also been on the drainage commission and at all times he stands loyally in support of every plan and measure for the general good, giving active aid and co-operation to every effort that is put forth to advance the progress of the community by reason of his deep interest in its welfare.