Frank E. King, who has long been identified with farming interests in Mount Pleasant Township, his home being on section 10, was born at St. Charles, Kane County, Illinois, April 27, 1860, a son of Edmund and Mary A. (Rice) King. The father was a native of Canada, born June 2, 1820, and his father, Edmund King, Sr., was a native of Massachusetts. The family is of Scotch descent and was planted on New England soil at an early day. Edmund King, Sr., was a young man when he removed from Massachusetts to Vermont where he met and married Lucy Lathrop, who was born in that state. He followed shoemaking, and by trade was a tanner and currier. On removing to Canada he took up the business of tanning and the manufacture of shoes and continued active along those lines until his death, which occurred in 1827, his wife having passed away about a year before.
Their son, Edmund King, was a boy of seven years when he left Canada and went to New York. He was employed at farm work in the vicinity of Syracuse, there remaining until 1844, when he arrived in Racine County, where for several years he cultivated a rented farm. He afterward removed to Kane County, Illinois, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits until 1868. That winter he conducted a grocery store in Brodhead, Wisconsin, and in the spring of 1869 again became actively identified with farming interests in Racine County, settling upon an unimproved tract of land in Mount Pleasant Township about four miles from Racine. His labors wrought a marked transformation in the appearance of the place, which he converted into productive fields, and as the years passed success attended his efforts so that in his later years he was able to live retired without further recourse to labor. He passed away in 1904, while his widow survived until 1906.
It was in Ottawa, Illinois, on the 25th of January, 1849, that Mr. King wedded Miss Mary A. Rice, who was born in Bradford County. Pennsylvania, but was educated in Princeton, Illinois, and in Racine. She was a daughter of William W. Rice, a native of Rhode Island, who, however, was reared in Pennsylvania, and in New York wedded Susan Tozer, a native of the Keystone state. He died during the childhood of his daughter, Mrs. King, and about 1836 her mother removed to Illinois, where she afterward became the wife of Ezra F. Weed, who was born in New York and in 1833 became a resident of Wisconsin, settling near Racine. Mr. and Mrs. Edmund King became the parents of two sons and two daughters: Clara G., who died at the age of ten years; Fred L., who makes his home in Racine County: Frank E., of this review; and Nellie J., the wife of Charles Martin, of Union Grove. The father always gave his political allegiance to the Republican Party and was several times called to local office, serving as supervisor and as a member of the school board. Both he and his wife belonged to the Baptist church and during the long years of their residence in Racine County they enjoyed the goodwill and high regard of all who knew them.
Frank E. King attended the common schools of Mount Pleasant Township and throughout the period of his boyhood and youth was employed on the home farm, actively assisting in the work of developing the fields. He has always continued to engage in general agricultural pursuits and still makes his home on section 10, Mount Pleasant Township, where he has land which he has carefully and wisely cultivated, the fields yielding good crops as a reward for the labor which he bestows upon them.
Mr. King has been married twice. He first wedded Madora Rowlands, a daughter of Richard Rowlands, and following her demise he was married in 1896 to Miss Kittie Ellison, a daughter of Charles Ellison, and they have one son, Rufus.
In his political views Mr. King is a republican and his- religious faith is that of the Baptist church. Practically his entire life has been spent in this County and during the long years of his residence here he has gained a wide acquaintance. His fellow townsmen recognize in him a progressive farmer and one whose labors have been a contributing element to the agricultural development of this part of the state.