Elmer E. Gittins, a member of the Racine bar, who has been actively engaged in practice in this city since 1898, was born in Caledonia Township, Racine County, August 31, 1869, a son of Ellis and Jane (Gittins) Gittins, both of whom were natives of Wales. The paternal grandfather, William Gittins, left that little rock-ribbed country to become a resident of America and first established his home in New York but afterward removed to Racine County, Wisconsin, where in 1845 he purchased a farm, spending his remaining days thereon. His son, Ellis Gittins, was reared to agricultural life and always continued to devote his attention to the work of the fields. After attaining manhood he began farming on his own account and was thus engaged to the time of his death, which occurred in 1883. His widow still survives at the venerable age of ninety years and enjoys remarkable health and vigor.
Elmer E. Gittins obtained a public school education in Caledonia and the Racine high school, after which he matriculated in the Wisconsin University, which conferred upon him the Bachelor of Arts degree at his graduation with the class of 1895. He next entered the law department of the State University and is numbered among its alumni of 1897. He then returned to Racine and opened an office in 1898. His record is in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is not without honor save in his own country, for in the County in which his entire life has been passed Mr. Gittins has won a creditable place at the bar and in the general practice of law has proven his ability to cope with intricate and involved legal problems, while the court records indicate the gratifying success that has attended him.
Mr. Gittins is well known in Masonic circles, belonging to the lodge, chapter, council and commandery, and he is a past master of Belle City Lodge, No. 18, F. & A. M. He is likewise identified with the Royal Arcanum and he is a member of the Cymric Club and of the Racine Commercial Club. His political allegiance is given to the Republican Party and he has served in some local offices, being district attorney from 1904 until 1908, while at the present time he is chairman of the fire and police commission. He is interested in all the forces which work for development and improvement in the civic life of the community and has upheld as well the political and legal status of the district.