Among the leading citizens of Washington, in addition to those mentioned elsewhere in this volume, the following residents of Spokane Falls are worthy of note:
J. N. Glover, a Missourian by birth, and, it may he said, the founder of the city, settling there, or rather on its site, in 1873, and purchasing from two squatters named Downing and Scranton the tract of land on which their shanties were then the only buildings. First as the owner of a saw-mill, next as a contractor, then as the leading organizer and president of the First National Bank, and finally as mayor of Spokane, he has won for himself his well-earned wealth and reputation.
In connection with the First National Bank should be mentioned Horace L. Cutter, who was also one of its organizers. A native of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1871 he removed to Colorado, on account of his health, and in the following year to California, where for eight years he was secretary of the San Jose Savings Bank. Settling at Spokane Falls in 1882, he was appointed cashier and manager of the First National, and has since been a promoter of several leading enterprises, as the electric light and cable-road companies. Ile was also one of the founders of the board of trade, of which he is treasurer, and of the public library, of which he is president.
The president and manager of the Traders’ National Bank is E. J. Briekell, a native of Indiana, bat most of whose lifetime has been passed in Illinois and Nevada, where he engaged in merchandising and lumbering. In 1884 he settled at Spokane, where he is now the owner of one of the largest hardware stores.
Among the directors of this bank, and its former vice-president, is R. W. Forrest, a Pennsylvanian by birth, and now one of the capitalists of Spokane, where his residence dates from 1879.
Others deserving of notice are Col D. P. Jenkins, a native of Ohio, and a lawyer by profession, who, after serving almost throughout the civil war, resumed practice, first in Tennessee and Indiana, and later in Colorado and Washington Territory, whither he removed for his health’s sake, settling at Spokane in 1879.
J. D. Sherwood, a son of the late B. F. Sherwood of San Francisco, and who, as one of those who established the electric-light works, as president of the cable company, and in connection with other enterprises, has helped to build up his adopted city.
W. Pettet, an Englishman, who visited California in 1846, and in 1886 made his permanent home at Spokane, where he purchased the first electric light plant and organized the company by which it was operated.
E. B. Hyde, a native of Wisconsin, who came to Spokane in 1851, two years later building, in conjunction with others, the Union block, and since that date adding a number of handsome edifices to the improvements of the city.
W. M. Wolverton, a native of Iowa, who, in 1881, the year after his arrival, erected the first brick building in Spokane, where, until retiring from business in 1880, he was the owner of a flourishing hardware store.