Whitford, Gideon W., Addison, was born in Addison, Addison county, Vt., on August 10, 1828. His parents were William T. and Almina S. (Seeger) Whitford. William T. was born in Addison county, on the Whitford homestead, in 1802. On reaching manhood he settled on the place now owned and occupied by his son, Ezra Whitford. He spent his days on this place, remodeling and improving it. He was a successful man during his life, and reared a family of ten children to maturity, nine of whom are now living. He was a member of the Baptist Church for many years, and died on April 20, 1878. Gideon W. Whitford was educated in the common schools and received an ordinary common school education. He was brought up to farming, and remained at home on the farm until of age. He was married on January 18, 1849, to Electa L. Gulley, a daughter of E. A. Gulley, who was a farmer and well-known resident of Addison. In 1851 Mr. Whitford settled on the place where he has since resided, which was formerly the Eli Norton farm. He conducted it on shares for some six years, when he purchased the John Hinds place. About thirteen years ago he purchased the Eli Norton farm, which then consisted of ninety acres. It now numbers three hundred and fifty acres. He has been a very successful farmer and stock raiser. He has filled many of the town offices. He represented his town in 1880. He settled on his farm in 1875, and built a very fine residence on the same in 1877. His wife died July 2, 1878, and he then married his second wife, Flora A. Barber, of Canton, N. Y., on February 18, 1885. His mother, Mrs. William Whitford, died on September 4, 1884.