Nathan Robinson, from Westminster, Vt., came to Stowe in 1798, and purchased a farm of Amasa Marshall, where a log house was erected, 20×40 feet, one story in height. In this house Mr. Robinson kept a hotel for many years, then built a more commodius hotel, where he died at the advanced age of eighty-seven years, having lived a useful and exemplary life. He was the first representative of the town, holding the office fourteen years, and also was a justice of the peace many years, in which capacity he conducted himself so judiciously as to obtain the name of the “peace-maker.” His son, Capt. Nathan Robinson, settled upon the farm now owned by Dr. T. B. Smith, of New York city, and built the house now standing thereon, though it has undergone many improvements. Capt. Robinson was a man of considerable influence, a town representative, State senator, etc. He died at the great age of ninety-three years. His title of Capt. was received in the war of 1812.