Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Bowman’s Chapel United Methodist Church History and Membership

Bowman’s (Boman’s) Chapel United Methodist Church and Cemetery is located at 7508 County Road 310 in the Trimble community. The church was founded around the turn of the century and re-organized in 1934. The site of the current building and cemetery was sold to the M. E. Church of Boman Chapel by Elza Titus Rooker Speegle and his wife, Mary Elizabeth Kilgo Speegle for $5.00 on November 2, 1918. The current building was built around that time. The fellowship hall was added by parishioners in 1991 at a cost of $13,000. The geographic location is Township 11, Section 16, Range 04W. Bowman Chapel Membership Name Membership Transfers From Transfer To Luther Jacobs Profession by Faith Rev. O. M. Jones By Transfer Johnnie Morgan PF Winnie Speegle PF Dona Speegle PF Bessie Sullivan BT S. A. Jones BT Gracie Speegle BT Sardis Baptist Mount Vernon Methodist,Gardendale,Alabama Fannie Speegle BT Sam Speegle PF Mable Calvert BT Sardis Baptist Mittie Speegle BT Sardis Baptist Annie Lue Morgan PF Mammie Lee Morgan PF Louie Morgan PF Bernice Speegle BT Sardis Baptist Roscoe E. Speegle PF Lebell Jacobs PF Vernell Jacobs PF Magdalene Speegle PF W. Boatler Speegle PF Bud W. Speegle BT Homer Calvert PF Glenn Calvert BT T. L. Speegle PF Mary Sue Densmore BT Baptist Margie Jones BT Baptist Ore Bell Morgan PF Velsie Alred BT Betty Dean Jones BT Baptist Oscar Jones Jr. BT Baptist Ozell Jacobs PF Effie Calvert BT Lillian Pope PF John Pope PF Nona Mae Speegle PF Jerry Still PF May Speegle PF Minnie Lee Speegle BT Baptist Dexter Bernard Speegle PF (9-29-1946) Gladys Speegle PF...

The Synod of Canadian

The following is the enabling act of the General Assembly at Columbus, Ohio, May 24, 1907, establishing the synod of Canadian, to consist of the colored Presbyterian ministers and Churches in the states of Arkansas and Oklahoma. It Is Hereby Enacted By The General Assembly “That the Synod of Canadian is hereby erected and constituted, to consist of the Presbyteries of White River, Kiamichi and Rendall; and the synod of Canadian, as thus constituted, shall meet in the meeting place of the First Colored Presbyterian congregation in Oklahoma City, on Tuesday, the 8th day of October, 1907, at 7:30 o’clock p. m.; that the Rev. W. L. Bethel shall preside until the election of a Moderator, that the Rev. W. D. Feaster preach the opening sermon and that elder J. H. A. Brazleton act as temporary clerk, until the election of a stated and permanent clerk.” The assembly at this time enlarged the boundary of the Presbytery of Kiamichi so as to include the south half of the state of Oklahoma and established the Presbytery of Kendall to include the north half of it, the Canadian river, and below its mouth the Arkansas River, forming the boundary line between them. It also enlarged the boundary of White River Presbytery to include all the colored Presbyterian ministers and Churches in the synod, or state, of Arkansas. First Meeting At Oklahoma The first meeting of the synod of Canadian, was held in the colored Methodist Church of Oklahoma City. The Presbytery of Kiamichi was represented by 3 ministers and one elder, namely, Rev. R. E. Flickinger, and Elder Jack A. Thomas,...

The Presbyterian Church

The Presbyterian Church from the beginning has been a zealous missionary organization. At the meeting of the First General Assembly arrangements were made to send the gospel to “the regions beyond,

Mohawk Church, Brantford, Ontario, Canada

When a young man Thayendanegea or Joseph Brant, a Mohawk Pine Tree Chief, perceived the importance of education and religion as aids in carrying forward the moral and social improvement of his nation. One of his first stipulations, on securing Grand River Territory for his people, was the building of a church, a school house and flour mill. The Mohawk Church still stands. On five different occasions different members of the Akwesasne Mohawk Counselor Organization have visited the grave of Joseph Brant and the church which he built for his Mohawks from funds collected in England by himself in 1786 Thayendanegea lies buried near this little church, the first Episcopal Church erected in Upper Canada. Near the tomb of Joseph Brant the warriors saw a unique stone marker, in the shape of a huge arrowhead fastened to a large boulder, erected in memory of Pauline Johnson, a great Mohawk Indian poetess of the Six Nations. They knew that there was another impressive monument erected in the City of Vancouver in honour of this remarkable and talented Iroquois.  ...

History of Portland Oregon Presbyterian Churches

In November, 1849, Rev. Horace Lyman and wife arrived. Mr. Lyman had been sent out by the Home Missionary Society in 1847, but remained at San Jose, California, one year engaged in teaching. After his arrival in Portland he at once began the work of building up a church. In 1850, one of the town proprietors, D. H. Lownsdale, gave the ground and the citizens made liberal donations to carry out the project. With this assistance Mr. Lyman began the erection of a church building at the South end of Second street. Much of the manual labor connected with the task was performed by this zealous minister, and so hard did he work that he fell ill from over-exertion. He soon, however, rallied and prosecuted the work with such vigor that the building was completed and dedicated June 15, 1851. Revs. George H. Atkinson, J. S. Griffin and Harvey Clark assisted Mr. Lyman in the dedication ceremonies. The building was 32×48 feet in dimensions; had a belfry and a small spire and cost $6,400. Mr. Lyman was pastor for four years and a half when he removed to Dallas. For a year and a half thereafter Rev. Geo. H. Atkinson officiated as pastor but continued during this period to reside at Oregon City. In November, 1855, Rev. P. B. Chamberlain was installed pastor. During his pastorate, which covered a period of over five years, a large number of the congregation withdrew to form another Presbyterian Church, as had been the case during Mr. Lyman’s pastorate, but both movements were unsuccessful. When Mr. Chamberlain’s labors closed, in March, 1862, the...

Pin It on Pinterest