The Methodist Church is, likewise, identified with the earliest history of Pulaski County. It was in November of 1805 that Henry Dearborn, Secretary of War, negotiated a treaty between the Indians and the Federal Government for lands between the Oconee and Ocmulgee Rivers. On December 15, 1808, the Georgia legislature passed an act creating Pulaski
Nineteen twenty-five marked the hundredth anniversary of the Methodist Church’s work in Hawkinsville. The people called Methodists are connected with the very beginning of our city. It was in 1821 that the Georgia legislature authorized two Methodist laymen to erect a ferry line across the Ocmulgee River from land they owned in Hartford to the
Before writing anything concerning Adriel Church we will first tell the reason it came into existence. Mount Horeb Church was established October 15, 1809, by some of the earliest Baptist settlers of Pulaski County. It was on February 14, 1844, that Brother Joe Burkhalter nailed and locked up the doors of historic old Mount Horeb
For many years Old Adam Meeting House was the only religious structure on the old River Road or in the Lampkin settlement. In fact, after leaving Hawkinsville, prior to the year 1800, and for nearly three-score years in the nineteenth century, Old Adam Meeting House was the only place of worship situated on the east
Antioch Baptist Church was organized August 10, 1893. Rev. R. Bullington preached the organization sermon. The group entered into a conference and elected A. C. Fulghum clerk. The charter members were: Sarah Foster, W. J. Pirkle and wife, J. T. Stephens, Catherine Stephens, J. L. Stephens and wife, B. F. Bracewell, H. D. Vaughn, A.
Friendship Baptist Church, of Pulaski County, Georgia, was organized May 6, 1843. This church was constituted at the home of Mr. Reubin E. Reynolds I who was born in 1795 and died in 1872) and wife, Winnie Cutts Reynolds, and his daughter, Cynthia Reynolds (who later became the wife of John Wesley Turner). The ministers
Congregationalists – The first church was organized September 9, 1778, and was of the Presbyterian order. The following are the names of its members: Moses Whipple, Stephen Powers, Isaac Sanger, John Cooper, Joseph Hall, Jacob Leland, John Sanger, Catherine Whipple, Rachel Powers, Mary Cooper, Anna Leland, Lydia Hall, Hannah Giles and Lucy Whipple. The first
In 1788 a number of the members of the first church became dissatisfied with their pastor, or pastors, withdrew from the society, and with others, organized the Second Congregational church, at East Alstead, with eighteen members, over whom Rev. Levi Lankton, of Southington, Conn., was installed, September z, r 7 89. He remained with the
The Oak Hill Presbyterian Church was organized about June 29, 1869, with six members, namely, Henry Crittenden, who was ordained an elder, Teena Crittenden, his wife, J. Ross Shoals and his wife Hettie Shoals, Emily Harris and Reindeer Clark. The services at first were held in the home and later in an arbor at the
Wheelock Academy for nearly four-score years was the most attractive social, educational and religious center in the southeast part of the Choctaw nation.