The above firm composed of W. H. Johnson and Clarence and C. P. Johnson, have done perhaps as much towards developing the resources of Grant County as any of her citizens. They are all men of sterling character and more than ordinary business ability. They settled in the Big Basin on the John Day River
Noxon Brothers Manufacturing Company, the most extensive industry in the manufacturing line at Ingersoll, is composed of five brothers, Freeman C., James, Samuel, Stephen, and Thomas H., sons of Samuel Noxon, senior, who was born and spent his days in the County of Prince Edward, Ontario, and grandson of James Noxon, a United Empire Loyalist
The first merchants in town were Mr. Ballard and Israel C. Jones. Joshua Stockwell, Josiah Austin, Daniel Campbell, Hosea Brooks, Israel C. Mead, Samuel Everts, William H. Remsen, P. W. Collins, Benjamin F. Haskell, Calvin M. Lewis, Ira Bingham, A. C. Wicker, Daniel Sanford, Joel S. Lane, Sylvester B. Rockwell, and the Cornwall Mercantile Company
St. Louis is recognized as one of the leading drug and chemical markets in the United States and also has the distinction of being the home of the largest wholesale drug house in the United States if not in the world. Meyer Brothers Drug Company was founded by Christian F. G. Meyer at Fort Wayne,
Deming & Hatch, dentists, are former residents of Vt. They came to this city in Nov., 1880, and opened their present office. Their practice is extensive and remunerative.
Tilton & Weeks, proprietors of livery, feed and sale barn, have stable room for thirty horses; board private rigs, and keep fine rigs for hire. They came to Dunlap from Ogle County, Ill., in 2878, and engaged in farming until entering their present business in th spring of 1881.
J. Franz & Co., brewers. The business of this firm is conducted by Mrs. M. Franz and Mrs. Kate Hensler, the widows of the former proprietors, both of whom died in the spring of 1881. The brewery was built in 1868, is 150×40 ft., and has a capacity of 10,000 barrels per year, and has
Dunn & Connolly, attorneys at law, Charleston; this firm was established in November, 1878, and is composed of two young attorneys, but gentlemen possessing the requisite qualifications of success. Frank K. Dunn was born in Mt. Gilead, Ohio, Nov. 13, 1854, being a son of Hon. A. K. Dunn, Judge of the Court of Common
Wright, Beverly & Co., dealers in a general stock of merchandise and men’s outfitting goods, opened business in 1877. They employ eight clerks and carry a general stock of $40,000. Individual names of the firm are R. M. Wright and H. M. Beverly. H. M. Beverly came to Kansas in 1870 and engaged in the
Oliver March & Co., proprietors of the Dodge City Steam Flouring Mills. These mills were erected in the fall of 1879. Size 60×90 feet, three stories and basement, built of wood at a cost of $20,000. Capacity is 15,000 pounds of flour in twenty-four hours. They employ four men. Oliver Marsh and son became proprietors