Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
A cemetery transcription of Daugherty Cemetery in Fannin County, Texas located five miles north of Windom, Texas.
James Daughtery came to Texas about 1836 with a few other families including his son-in-law, a Mr. Thomas, and settled at Kentuckytown near the southwest corner of the county. They had much Indian trouble and had to go to Fort Inglish for protection. When cold weather came late in the fall of 1838 James Daugherty and his son, Andrew, Mr. Thomas, and his grandson returned to Kentuckytown to butcher his hogs for winter meat. As they returned to Fort Inglish they made camp for the night at the cabin on the Bois d’Arc creek. Mr. Thomas was cooking their meal on the fire. Andrew and the Thomas boy went for water at a spring where the Indians attacked them. James Daugherty took his gun and went to help the boys. James and his grandson were killed. Andrew made it back to the cabin carrying an Indian arrow through his elbow. Mr. Thomas fought the Indians and, after dark, he and Andrew made their way to the fort. The next day a group of men returned to the cabin and found the bodies of Daughtery and his grandson. They were the second ones to be buried at Fort Inglish Cemetery (at Bonham).
Charles Daugherty, son of James, married Mary “Polly” Ann Pettigrew in Fannin county in 1842. Polly’s mother, Elizabeth (McCombs) Pettigrew, objected to this marriage. For that reason Charles took his bride to Arkansas where they lived and their sons were born. Charles was killed by outlaws in Arkansas. Andrew, Charles’s brother, had made his home with Charles and Polly Ann. His arm withered away after being shot with the Indian arrow. After Charles’s death, Polly Ann wanted to make peace with her family. She left Andrew and her sons in Arkansas, and with a slave she rode horseback to Texas to her Mother’s home. She was forgiven and her brother went to Arkansas for Andrew Daugherty and Polly Ann’s sons. Andrew continued to make his home with Polly Ann until her sons were married. Charles Daughtery had received a land grant of 320 acres from the Republic of Texas. His sons, James and Jason, settled on this land. This cemetery is located on Jason’s farm four and a half miles north of Windom. Jason married Mariah Antoinettte Cravens, daughter of Gershom and Zerelda. There are only members of Polly Ann Daugherty’s family buried in this graveyard.
Mary E., b. 23 Apr. 1848, d. 1 Mar. 1888. Wife of J. A.
Ida E., b. 16 Mar. 1874, d. 4 Aug. 1874. Dau. of J. A. & M. E.
Drucilla, b. 11 June 1882, d. 17 July 1883. Dau. of J. A. & M. E.
Ruby, b. 24 Apr. 1899, d. 20 May 1900. Dau. of C. C. & B. A.
Mary A., b. 26 July 1814, d. 27 July 1886. Wife of C.
Infant, b. & d. 16 Feb. 1877. Son of Jason & Mariah.
Mariah A., b. 29 June 1854, d. 16 Mar. 1877. Wife of Jason.
Henry A., b. 30 July 1880, d. 14 July 1883. Son of J. & M.
May E., b. 7 Dec. 1881, d. 3 Feb. 1883. Dau. of J. & M.
Edward, b. 29 Dec. 1896, d. 26 Oct. 1897. Son of J. S. & C. A.
Seven other graves which are unmarked.