Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
DANIEL MARCUS JOHNSON. One of the attractive and valuable farms of Van Buren Township is the place of Daniel Marcus Johnson, comprising one hundred acres of fine land located about four miles northeast of Summitville and on the Johnson road. Mr. Johnson began his career as a renter, by thrift and good management saved sufficient means to make his first purchase of land, and is now one of the substantial agriculturists of the County. He brought a thorough experience and ability to the improvement of his place, according to his standards of what he wanted this farm to be, It is therefore a farm which has been largely shaped out by his own labors and plans and represents both a comfortable home and a gratifying source of income.
Daniel Marcus Johnson was born September 11, 1869, on the Harrison Allen farm in Van. Buren Township, a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Allen) Johnson. Joseph Johnson married Miss Allen in Hancock County, and then brought his young wife to Randolph County, and thence to Madison County, where he bought land in Van Buren Township, He was a successful farmer, and a man of local influence, and his death on April 7, 1908, was a distinct loss to the community, He is buried in the cemetery of the Odd-Fellows, The thirteen children in this family were: Manson U.; Minerva J.; Jesse A.; Daniel M.; Mary E., who died May 29, 1909; Lewis W.; Amanda L..; Etta L.; John C.; Della A.; Pearl A., James M., and Sarah, all three now deceased.
Daniel Marcus Johnson was married September 30, 1908, to Estella May Taylor, a daughter of George and Alice (Howe) Taylor, Her parents now live in Bartholomew County, Indiana, where George Taylor was born, He was the son of Powell and Hattie Taylor, George Taylor was a farmer, was educated in the common schools, and has been one of the prosperous farmers near Columbus, The five children in the Taylor family included the following: Mrs. Johnson; Louie Mobley; Bessie Galbreith; Hattie Stoughton, of Elizabethtown, Indiana; Georgie Guinn, of Columbus, Indiana, Mrs. Johnson received her education in the common schools near Columbus, Indiana, and has been well trained for her part as a home-maker and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have two children, George C. and Martha E.
Mr. Johnson was brought up in Madison County, and as a boy attended the “Zedekar” school. While going to school he worked on the farm, Finally he rented land and began accumulating the money for establishing himself independently as a farmer. He then bought a farm and has since increased his means with every year, His chief occupation has been farming and the raising of the Duroc hogs, and he sends a large number to market each year, Mr. Johnson is a member of the Primitive Baptist church and Mrs. Johnson is a member of the Missionary Baptist church.