D. G. Ferguson is a son of James and Emeline (Shepherd) Ferguson. The father was born near Nashville, Tennessee, and when but a boy went with his parents to Henderson County, where be afterward married and made his permanent home. He is a democrat, and in 1861 volunteered in Company A, First Tennessee Confederate Infantry, but after serving one year, was discharged for disability. He owns 200 acres of land in Henderson County, but in 1886 owing to old age, gave up active life, and he and wife moved to Lake County where they reside with their son. They are now quite advanced in years.
D. G. Ferguson was born and reared in Henderson County, his birth occurring October 25, 1848. His school days did not exceed three months, as the war broke out just at the time he should have been attending. At the age of eighteen he began farming, and has continued to the present. In 1866 he married Lucinda Rouse, who died in 1875, having borne six children. The same year Mr. Ferguson married Jane Gale, who has borne him five children. He is a democrat, and for two years has held the office of road commissioner. From 1872 until 1881 he resided in Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri and Arkansas, and on coming to Lake County five years ago, had but $100, three mules and one wagon load of goods. Through good management and energy he is now worth about $6,000, and has the reputation of being an honest man and a good farmer.