The Davis family is among the forty-nine "best families" selected by the American Historical-Genealogical Society for whom the Society has published family histories during the past few years. The Davis family has been prominent in the British Empire and in the United States, its members having played important roles in war and in peace. Family pride is a commendable trait and should be cultivated. All Davises have just cause to be proud of their family history and traditions.
In references No. 7 and No. 14 we find the following regarding the origin and meaning of the name Davis.
Davis is a Welsh surname, and the family is among the most numerous in England and Wales. This is due to the fact that there are so many variations of the name. The original name was David which signifies well-beloved—popular in Biblical days and a favorite among the Scottish kings.
Though of ancient standing in Wales, David scarcely appears in England before the Conquest. Modified in various forms, it has produced many family names such as Davis, Davidson, Davies, Daves, Dawson, Dawes, Day, Dakin, etc. The Irish form is M´Daid; the French, Devis.
The data in this volume is gathered from reliable sources. We have selected what we consider the most important material. Many of the daughters, and sons for whom no issue was shown, have been omitted from the pedigrees. A missing symbol indicates that a name has been omitted. Those desiring further information are advised to consult the volumes mentioned in the list of References.
The compilers hope that, in producing this volume they are bringing to the Davis family information which will be of interest and value to them, and that they are rendering an important service to the public. They and their associates will be glad to give their cooperation to members of the family who are interested in having a complete genealogy of the family published.
Unless otherwise plainly shown, the persons in this volume whose names are accompanied by three figures are children of the immediately preceding persons bearing immediately preceding numbers. All persons in each group bearing the same letter as a part of their numbers, are directly related. The generations of the descendants of those bearing numbers of three figures are represented as follows. However, some of our material is published as copied from various records without rearrangement according to this system.
Generations 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Symbols (1), etc. (A), etc. (a), etc. 1, etc. A, etc.
Generations 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Symbols a, etc. (I), etc. (i), etc. I, etc. i, etc.
Abbreviations Used in this Manuscript
|Address = add||Born = b||Children = ch|
|College = coll||Died = d||Died young = d.y.|
|Died without issue = d.w.i.||died before father = d.v.p.||died without issue = d.s.p.|
|daughter = dau||graduated = grad||married, moved = m|
|son, succeeded = s||university = univ||lives, lived = l|
- The Davis Coat of Arms
- Ancient Davis Families
- Prominent British Davises, Past Generations
- Prominent British Davises of 1920's
- American Davises of Royal Descent
- Davis In The American Revolution
- Prominent Davises of America, Past Generations
- Davis Officers of The Continental Army
- Prominent American Davises of 1920's
- Davis Families from the United States
- Benjamin Davis
- James and John Davis of Westmoreland County, Virginia
- Robert Davis
- Benjamin Davis of Amherst, New Hampshire
- John Davis of Middletown, Connecticut
- John Davis of Connecticut
- Benjamin Davis of North Providence, Pennsylvania
- Robert Davis of Baltimore, Maryland
- John and Ann Davis
- John and Ann Davis
- Azariah and Elsie Davis
- John Davis of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
- Snead Davis of North Carolina
- William Davis of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Solomon and Hannah Davis
- William Davis of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- John Davis of Pennsylvania and Kentucky
- John Davis of Plymouth, Massachusetts
- Calvin and Lucy Davis
- John and Salina Davis
- Daniel E. Davis of New York City, New York
- Francis Marion Davis of Adair County, Kentucky
- Jonathan P. Davis of Ashby, Massachusetts
- Davis of Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Benjamin Job Davis of Wisconsin
- Isaac and Roxlana Davis
- Joshua and Matilda Davis
- Richard and Sophia Davis
- James Knox Polk Davis of Smyth County, Virginia
- Luther L. and Jane Davis
- Lorenzo Doe Davis
- Robert Davis