Philadelphia has been justly noted for its many charitable and benevolent institutions. Among these the “Orphans’ Home and Asylum for the Aged and Infirm of the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Germantown” holds a conspicuous place. When so many children were made orphans during the late war, this institution was among the first to open its doors for these soldiers’ orphans, and 98 were admitted up to the time when the State provided homes for them. Including with these reports are names and ages of the orphans who were present during the year.
Luedders’ historical and pictorial city directory of Angola, Indiana for the year 1923, containing an historical compilation of items of local interest, a complete canvass of names in the city, which includes every member of the family, college students, families on rural lines, directory of officers of county, city, lodges, churches, societies, a directory of streets, and a classified business directory.
Abbreviations: Sec., section; ac., acres; Wf., wife; ch., children; ( ), years in county; O., owner; H., renter. Aikman, C. M. Wf. Alma. P. O. Gray, R. 1. R. 160 ac., sec. 6. (26.) Breeder of Short Horn Cattle. Owner, W. F. Aikman. Aikman, W. F. Wf. Nettie; ch. Glen, Fern, Lloyd and Gladys.
George Spracklin, son of Peter Spracklin and Elizabeth Andrews, continued living in Dudley Township, Hardin Co., Ohio. There he met Arloa Turner Minor and was married 9 April 1840, Knox Co., Ohio. In December of 1864 George bought land here in Shelby Co., Illinois in Drypoint Township. He paid $3680 for 200 acres south of Lakewood,
Edwin H. Wagner, of the firm of Edwin H. Wagner & Company, certified public accountants of St. Louis, was born in Laramie City, Wyoming, October 6, 1873, a son of Henry and Susan (Cantwell) Wagner. The father’s birth occurred in Ohio and during the Civil war he served with the Halleck Guards and participated in
John C. Wagner is proprietor of the Wagner Hotel of Racine, in connection with which he conducts what is known as the best restaurant of the city. He was born March 27, 1858, in Racine, a son of Jacob and Mary (Gracely) Wagner, the former a native of Prussia and the latter of Württemberg, Germany.
Natt T. Wagner manager of the bond department of the First National Bank of St. Louis was born in Asheville, North Carolina, June 12, 1883. His father, J. A. Wagner, is a native of Tennessee, while the latter’s father was a native of Virginia. J. A. Wagner became an architect, devoting his active life to
Peter John Wagner has been for many years identified with the farming enterprise of Ogden Township, and still lives in a home and on a farm that are evidence of his hard work and intelligent care. This attractive rural home is in section 18 of Ogden Township, conveniently situated by the interurban road. Mr. Wagner
JOHN A. WAGNER. Deceased- In the person of the esteemed gentleman whose name is at the head of this article we have one of the first of Union county’s settlers and a man who bore the brunt of assisting to open upthis section for the settlement of man and in developing the same, while he
Wagner, Jacob; born, Switzerland, 1840; son of John R. and Mary Weltz Wagner; educated, Cleveland public schools; married, Cleveland, Aug. 4, 1870, Elizabeth Fontins; issue, two sons, Frank A. and Charles J.; served three years in Rebellion; enlisted Co. B, 128th O. V. I., January, 1862; discharged, March, 1865; guarded rebel officers at Johnson’s Island