Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

The Mudd Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

The influential farmer, James Duncan Mudd of Prairie du Rocher, is a member of the oldest family of settlers in Randolph County. Indeed, his family has been in America since the very earliest days, having come over to Maryland in the time of Lord Baltimore. This band of stout-hearted Englishmen set out from their native shores in 1633 and sought religious freedom in the new world. They established the Church in North America and guaranteed religious liberty, where until then there had been only Puritan fanaticism. The Mudd family were original settlers of this colony. After the Revolution, when the tide of westward emigration set in, Thomas Mudd and his wife Johanna Carrick Mudd, proceeded to Kentucky, where they were among the earliest settlers. They settled in Spencer County. This Thomas Mudd had seven sons and two daughters, the third son being Francis. Francis Mudd was born in 1795 in Maryland, emigrated from there to Kentucky with his parents, and there grew to manhood, with such slight educational advantages as the wilderness afforded. In the War of 1812 he volunteered, and served throughout the war. He was with Jackson at New Orleans when that great general with his regiments of stalwart pioneers won one of the most brilliant victories that we ever achieved over the British. On his return he was married in 1819 to Louisa Dough, and three years later moved to Randolph County. Thus the family had been among the very first settlers of three states, Maryland, Kentucky and Illinois. Francis Mudd claimed a farm in Section 29, Township 5, Range 8, and lived here the peaceful...

The Eichenseer Family of Prairie du Rocher Illinois

John Eichenseer, who gets his mail through Red Bud, Illinois, Rural Route No. 3, was born March 3, 1863, in Madonnaville, Monroe County, Illinois. After leaving the parochial and public schools he worked for his father until his marriage, which took place October 28, 1890. Miss Mary Wierschem was his bride. Then he bought a farm of eighty acres, and has lived here ever since. Mr. Eichenseer reared a family of ten children – four sons, Vincent A., Leo William, Herman A., and Bernhard F; six daughters, Ida E., Christina A., Theresia A., Veronica F., Anastasia M. and Angela M. Mr. Eichenseer is a Democrat and is well known in the community. Mrs. Eichenseer (nee Wierschem) was born July 19, 1870, in Madonnaville, Illinois, and after her school days assisted her parents until her marriage. Joseph Eichenseer Joseph Eichenseer, farmer, was born September 17, 1870, in Madonnaville, Monroe County, Illinois. His present address is Red Bud, Randolph County, Illinois. Rural Route No. 3. He attended the parochial school, after which he worked for his father until 1902. On November 9, 1898, he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Mary Vogt, The family was blessed with three children, all boys, vix: Henry A., Albert G. and Emil W. Eichenseer. Mrs. Joseph Eichenseer is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Vogt, and was born June 11, 1878, near Red Bud, Illinois. After attending the parochial school she assisted her parents in the household duties until her marriage. His present farm of 100 acres was willed to him by his father, Joseph Eichenseer. George Eichenseer George Eichenseer,...

History of St. Joseph Church Prairie du Rocher Illinois

St. Joseph Church Prairie du Rocher, Illinois, was established in 1722 as a chapel dependent upon the royally endowed church of Ste. Anne at Fort Chartres. King Louis XIV of France had dreamed of a great French empire in Mid America, but died before he could bring his dream to reality. Following his death in 1715, the regent, Philip of Orleans, ruling for the boy King Louis XV, commissioned Pierre Duque Boisbriant to found Fort Chartres in 1718 on the mighty Mississippi, midway between Quebec and New Orleans, to be the capital of the new French empire in Mid America. The fort was named after the Due de Chartres, son of the regent, and was the functioning capital of the Illinois country, then a French possession. From the beginning of the fort a church was established in the village of Nouvelle Chartres outside the walls. It was staffed by two Jesuit priests, Father Le Boullenger and Father De Beaubois, who cared for the spiritual needs of the soldiers garrisoned at the fort, and the French families of the area surrounding the fort. Soon the swampy condition of the soil near the fort prompted some of the French settlers to move to higher ground at the foot of the picturesque rock bluffs. Jean St. Therese Langlois, the nephew of Pierre Duque Boisbriant, commandant of the king, received from his uncle the commandant, a grant of land for a village beneath the bluffs. They called it “La Belle Prairie du Rocher,” namely, “The Beautiful Meadow Beneath the Rock.” A chapel of logs in what is the present and original cemetery was...

Biography of William H. Vogt, M. D.

For twenty-three years Dr. William H. Vogt has engaged in medicine in St. Louis, his native city. He was born September 9, Dr. Gustavus Vogt, who is a native of Germany and on coming to first in Davenport, Iowa, whence he removed to St. Louis. He was the Missouri Medical College of this city in 1878, since which time continuous and active practice here, being today one of the oldest practicing physicians of the city, having for forty-three years followed his profession in St. Louis. He belongs to the St. Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Association and the American Medical Association and has always kept abreast with the trend of modern professional thought and practice. He now has his offices with his son in the Metropolitan building and resides at No. 4977 Lotus avenue. He married Lina Merkel, who was born in Illinois and is of German descent. By her marriage she became the mother of seven children, six of these being daughters. Dr. William H. Vogt, the only son and the second child, was educated in the public schools of St. Louis and in private schools, while later he took up the study of medicine in Washington University and was graduated with the class of 1898. He then served for a year in the St. Louis City Infirmary and for an equal period in the St. Louis Female Hospital, after which he went abroad, spending several years in post-graduate work in Berlin, Vienna and Dresden. Upon his return to America he became assistant to the late Dr. A. C. Bernays, a distinguished surgeon, with whom he...

Pin It on Pinterest