Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

1923 Historical and Pictorial Directory of Angola Indiana

Luedders’ historical and pictorial city directory of Angola, Indiana for the year 1923, containing an historical compilation of items of local interest, a complete canvass of names in the city, which includes every member of the family, college students, families on rural lines, directory of officers of county, city, lodges, churches, societies, a directory of streets, and a classified business directory.

Migration of Families out of Norwich VT

At the first enumeration of the inhabitants of eastern Vermont, as made by the authority of New York in 1771, Norwich was found to be the most populous of all the towns of Windsor County, having forty families and 206 inhabitants. Windsor followed with 203, and Hartford was third with 190. The aggregate population of the county (ten towns reported) was then but 1,205, mostly confined to the first and second tiers of towns west of the Connecticut River. Twenty years later, in 1791, Hartland led all the towns of the county with 1,652 inhabitants, Woodstock and Windsor coming next with 1,605 and 1,542 respectively. Exceptional causes made the little town of Guilford (now numbering scarcely more than one thousand inhabitants), till after the year 1800, the most populous town in the state. In Norwich, the great falling off in the size of families in recent years is seen in the fact, that in the year 1800, the number of children of school age was 604, out of a total population of 1,486, while in 1880 with a nearly equal population (1,471) it was but 390. In the removal of large numbers of the native-born inhabitants by emigration, we must find the principal cause of the decline of our rural population. Preeminently is this true of Norwich. The outflow of people began very early and now for more than a century there has been one unbroken, living stream of emigration pouring over our borders. Several families that had first located here became, before the close of the Revolutionary War, the pioneer settlers of Royalton, Tunbridge, and Randolph. Some of...

Biographical Sketch of John S. Vinson

JOHN S. VINSON. – The proprietor of Nolin, Oregon, was born in Iowa in 1848. His father, James Vinson, was a native of Ohio, and was born in 1808. In 1852 our subject crossed the plains with his father, who located a Donation claim in Clackamas county, Oregon, and was first postmaster at the town of Needy, where he subsequently kept a store. After the wars of 1855-56 he bought largely of the volunteer scrip, which as yet has never been paid by the government. This brought the elder Vinson financial ruin, and caused him to remove to Umatilla county in the early days, where he has ever been a respected citizen, and is still hale and hearty. Our subject, John S. Vinson, was raised as a farmer in the old “Webfoot” state, and received a common-school education. At the age of nineteen he began to do for himself, working for wages and teaching school in Umatilla county. He finally located a land claim at the town of Vinson in 1871. In 1873 he was appointed postmaster at Vinson, and opened a general store in 1875, and continued in that business till 1883. In 1885 he purchased the site of Nolin, and was appointed postmaster and commenced merchandising there, and still follows that occupation. In 1880 he was an unsuccessful candidate for the legislature on the Republican ticket. Nolin, situated six miles east of Echo, on the Umatilla river, is a country village in a semi-developed though productive portion of Umatilla county and is the natural shipping point for about thirty thousand acres of good wheat land. As its...

Pin It on Pinterest