Not for the faint of heart or stomach, this is a graphically descriptive recounting of the captivity of Peter Williamson, who was taken by the Delaware Indians, at his own house near the forks of the Delaware in Pennsylvania. Of all the sufferings reported by captives, this particular account appears to go above and beyond the usual descriptions, almost to the point of unbelievability – because in this case, he doesn’t simply report the acts of cruelty, but vividly describes them in the most horrid fashion, even to claim the Delaware committed cannibalism on one of their captives, and then explaining how they did it.
H. F. Snider was born in Warrick County, Ind., July 18, 1843. He there married, in May, 1860, Miss Nancy Moses, who died a few years later. In 1862, he moved to Tama County, Iowa, where he married, June 22, 1866, Miss Harriet E. Watts, who died December 22, 1874, leaving four children–Lucinda S., John
DR. JAMES SNIDER. This prominent old pioneer of Carter County, Missouri, was born in Blount County, Tennessee, September 14, 1808, a son of Rev. George and Polly (Walker) Snider, who were born in Virginia and North Carolina January 1, 1769 and October 11, 1768, respectively. They were married in Tennessee and spent their lives in
(See Grant and Duncan)-Elbert Jacob, son of Andrew Johnson (born May 1, 1867 in Davis County, Mo.) and Cynthia (Muskrat) Snider, born May 4, 1867; in Delaware District and married November 28, 1886 and died July 2, 1902, was born September 29, 1888 at Grove, Delaware District. He was educated at Grove and Male Seminary.