Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Muster Roll of Captain Joseph Anthony’s Company of Infantry

Muster Roll of Captain Joseph Anthony’s Company of Infantry in the Detachment of drafted Militia of Maine, called into actual service by the State, for the protection of its Northeastern Frontier, from the twenty-fifth day of February, 1839, the time of its rendezvous at Augusta, Maine, to the nineteenth day of April, 1839, when mustered. Captain Joseph Anthony Sergeants Horace S. Cooley Simon Pratt. Epaphrus R. Bryant. S. S. Webster. William H. Clark. Thomas Field. Corporals Charles Hamlin. Henry L. Carter. Micah Safford. E. E. Dennis. Ensign Charles Simmons. Musicians Harrison Stone. James Trask. Privates Blake, Dudley. Bodwell, David. Briggs, John. Cogan, William E. D. Fletcher, Joseph H. Gazlin, Benjamin. Gilley, Isaac F. Godfrey, Adam. Greene, Sumner. Guild, Samuel. Haskell, Greenleaf. Heath, John. Herrin, Samuel. Knowles, Harrison. Lamson, John. Lyon, David. Lyon, Ezra. Morgan, Theophilus. Packard, Sidney. Partridge, John. Place, William. Pray, Edmund, Jr. Robey, John, Jr. Rollins, Joseph. Saben, John. Savage, Daniel, 2d. Trask, Samuel. Wells, Lewis. Wiggins, Ephraim. Wilson, Jesse. Wright, John. Young,...

Atkinson Family Genealogy of Saco Valley

The Atkinsons were English, and the ancestors of the New England families came from Bury, in County Lancaster, in 1634. Theodore Atkinson, the emigrant, settled in Boston and was owner of a good estate there. Atkinson street, where he had land, was named for him, and Berry street, for the place of his nativity. Hon. Theodore Atkinson, a grandson, settled on Great island, in Portsmouth harbor, and engaged in trade and fishing. He was appointed clerk of the Superior Court of Judicature for the province; was a man of great fidelity, held in high esteem. John Atkinson, son of the first Theodore, b. in Boston in 1636, m. Sarah Myrick, Apr. 27, 1664, and lived on the side of the “Upper Green,” in Newburyport, Mass. His son, John Atkinson, m. Sarah Woodman, in 1693, and had Thomas, b. Mar. 16, 1694, who m. Mary Pike, of Salisbury, Aug. 5, 17 19. He was the father of: Humphrey Atkinson, b. June 12, 1720; m. Sarah Hale, of Newburyport, May 25, 1743, and lived in that town until 1760, when he came to Buxton. He had purchased land in the township previously; was a shipwright. He d. in 1775, and with his wife was buried at Pleasant Point. Children named as follows, being born in Newbury: Sarah Atkinson, b. June 25, 1744; m. Jabez Bradbury. Joseph Atkinson, b. Aug. 24, 1745; m. Olive, dau. of Capt. Joseph Woodman, Dec. 18, 1767, and in 1769 his father conveyed to him forty acres of land, upon which he settled and died. He was deacon of the Baptist church. He and his brother m....

Genealogical and Family History of Vermont

Hiram Charlton took on the publication of the Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont for Lewis Publishing. In it, he enlisted the assistance of living residents of the state in providing biographical and genealogical details about their family, and then he published all 1104 family histories in two distinct volumes.

History of the Industries of Norwich VT

Although the products of the industries in Norwich have not been of great magnitude they have been quite varied in character. Such information in regard to these callings as we have been able to obtain we will present to our readers, though not in strict chronological order. Among the earliest establishments coming under this head was a grist mill established as early as 1770, by Hatch and Babcock on Blood Brook, on or near the site of the grist mill now operated by J. E. Willard, a short distance up the stream from where it empties into the Connecticut River. As has been stated in a previous chapter, it was voted at a proprietors’ meeting held September 17, 1770, to give to Joseph Hatch and Oliver Babcock the “tenth river lot on condition they execute a deed * * * * for upholding a grist mill where said gristmill now stands.” Since the ownership by Hatch and Babcock this property has been in the possession among others of Aaron Storrs, who sold it in 1793 to Doctor Joseph Lewis; Horace Esterbrook, who sold it to J. J. Morse; the latter to G. W. Kibling; Kibling to Crandall and Burbank; they to Doctor Rand of Hartford, Vt., and from the latter’s estate, J. E. Willard, the present proprietor, bought it. During Mr. Kibling‘s ownership of the property he had a department for making doors, window sashes, etc., in addition to a grist mill. In 1766, Jacob Burton built a saw mill on the north bank of Blood Brook, a little further down the stream than Messenger and Hazen‘s late tannery...

Biographical Sketch of Ebenezer Safford

Ebenezer Safford came to Chesterfield about 1780, and settled upon what is now known as the “Dudley farm.” His children were Luke, Roswell, and Ebenezer. Roswell, born November 18, 1784, married Fanny, daughter of Jonathan Farr, in 1809, and had born to him five children, namely: Electa C., Philip, Ebial, Jonathan, and Eliza C. Ebenezer, Jr., born October 2, 1787, married Dolly, daughter of William Farr, in 1809, who bore him six children, as follows: Mary T., Norman E., Lydia P., Watson, Oliver H., and Otis. Watson, born February 24, 1818, married Catharine, daughter of Elijah Hildreth, September 27, 1843, who bore him five children, as follows: Leavitt W., born November;o, 1844; Ellon A., born March 19, 1849, married Mary R., daughter of William Holman, February 14, 1871; Charles H., born June 25, 1854; Frank L., born July 27, 1857; and Eddie A., born December 28,...

Pin It on Pinterest