Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

1921 Farmers’ Directory of Viola Iowa

Abbreviations: Sec., section; ac., acres; Wf., wife; ch., children; ( ), years in county; O., owner; H., renter.   Allen, Charles F. Wf. Libbie; ch. Ray and Fred. P. O. Gray, R. 1. O. 468.64 ac., sec. 7. (40.) Allen, R. L. Wf. Laura. P. O. Gray, R. 1. R. 160ac., sec. 7. (20.) Owner, Chas. F. Allen. Anderson, Charles. Ch. Jennie, Fred, Frank and John. P. O. Coon Rapids, R. 3. O. 298.41 ac., sec. 1;O. 40 ac., sec. 12. (27.) Anderson, D. B. Wf. Lillie; ch. Bessie, Nellie, Alice, Mary and Hope. P. O. Audubon, R. 2. O. 320 ac., sec. 34. (46.) Bamsey, G. C. Wf. Phoebe; ch. Russell, Ralph, Lewis and Arlene. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 80 ac., sec. 30; O. 80 ac., sec. 29. (30.) Beck, C. M. Wf. Mary; ch. Carl, Harry and Hans. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 159 ac., sec. 22. (28.) Bonney, John J. Wf. Francis; ch. John and Harold. P. O. Coon Rapids, R. 3. R. 80 ac., sec. 2; R. 80 ac., sec. 11. (3.) Breeder of Duroc Jersey Hogs. Owner, J. C. Bonwell. Bonwell, John C. Ch. Pauline, Gertrude and Leora. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 480 ac., sec. 28; O. 80 ac., sec. 27; O. 160 ac., sec. 1; O. 80 ac., sec. 12; O. 80 ac., sec. 2; O. 80 ac., sec. 11. (46.)Breeder of Polled Hereford Cattle. “Viola Center Farm.” Boyer, H. C. Wf. Grace; ch. Jimmie and Joseph. P. O. Audubon, R. 2. R. 160 ac., sec. 35. (29.) Owner, Elizabeth A. Hinkson. Brannan, James H. Wf. Ellen; ch....

1921 Farmers’ Directory of Douglas Iowa

Abbreviations: Sec., section; ac., acres; Wf., wife; ch., children; ( ), years in county; O., owner; H., renter.   Abildtrup, J. C. Wf. Marie; ch.Nels, Margaret and Arnold. P. O. Audubon. R. 5. O. 90 ac., sec. 35. (11.) “Clover Leaf Farm.” Andersen, Carl Jr. Wf.Oma; ch. George. P. O. Audubon, R. 5. R. 80 ac., sec. 17. (24.) Owner, K. Larsen. Andersen, Chris. Wf. Vernal; ch. Lorene, Manuel and Ethel. P. O. Manning, R. 1. O. 118.49 ac., sec. 5. (19.) Anderson, J. A. Wf. Anna; ch.Christena, Leona, Harry and Ruby. P. O. Audubon, R. 5. O. 100 ac., sec. 19. (12.) Anderson, James T. Wf. Ina; ch.Alvina, Laverne and Naomi. P. O. Audubon, R. 5. R. 87.23 ac., sec. 7; R. 67.77 ac., sec. 18. (11.) Owners, E. S. White and Frank Masseen. Anderson, J. K. Wf. Christena; ch. Jens A., Luella, Caroline, Mabel, Edith, Martin, Maria and Henry. P. O. Audubon, R. 6. O. 80 ac., sec. 14; O. 10O.35 ac., sec. 19. (8.) Andersen, Julius M. P. O. Manning, R. 1. O. 99.67 ac., sec. 6. (19.) Andersen, Walter. Wf. Katie; ch. Elaine J., Dorothy C. P. O. Manning, R. 1. O. 80 ac., sec. 5. (19.) Asmus, Feed. P. O. Audubon, R. 6. R. 80 ac., sec. 4; R. 40 ac., sec. 34; R. 20 ac., sec. 33. (1.) Owners, J. J. Asmus and J. Huffman and Aug. Davis. Beck, Chris. R.Wf. Anna; ch. Eva, Egon, Rejner, Ebba and Vera. P. O. Audubon, R. 5. O. 81 ac., sec. 32. (18.) Berg, Frank L. Wf. Florence; ch. Frank Jr. P. O. Audubon, R. 6....

1921 Farmers’ Directory of Cameron Iowa

Abbreviations: Sec., section; ac., acres; Wf., wife; ch., children; ( ), years in county; O., owner; H., renter.   Aikman, C. M. Wf. Alma. P. O. Gray, R. 1. R. 160 ac., sec. 6. (26.) Breeder of Short Horn Cattle. Owner, W. F. Aikman. Aikman, W. F. Wf. Nettie; ch. Glen, Fern, Lloyd and Gladys. P. O. Gray, R. 1. R. 260 ac., sec. 7; R. 240 ac., sec. 8; O. 160 ac., sec. 6. (40.) Breeder of Short Horn Cattle. Owner, J. F. Liken. Albertsen, M. and A. Hansen. P. O. Gray, R. 1.R. 400 ac., sec. 21. (8 and 15.) Owner, Mrs. H. N. Christensen. Anderson, Dale. Wf. Emma. P. O. Ross, R. 1. R. 160 ac., sec. 35. (25.) Owners, H. A. Tessman and M. F. Ehlert. Anderson, P. F. Wf. Julia; ch. Frank, Dale, Hazel, Howard, Glen and Helen. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 160 ac., sec. 28. (43.) Avey, Fred. Wf. Lottie; ch. Carl, Mary, Eileen and Floyd. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 200 ac., sec. 36. (30.) Baldwin, Edward E. Wf. Ethel; ch.Ailene and Gladys. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 93.65 ac., sec. 33;O. 40 ac., sec. 28. (33.) Bamsey, Frank. Wf. Theodocia; ch. Gladys, Lola, Victor and Virgil. P. O. Ross, R. 1. O. 80 ac., sec. 25; O. 80 ac., sec. 26; R. 80 ac., sec. 25. (28.) Owner, A. Fancher. Bengford, Clarence. Wf. Margaret; ch. Isabelle and Bernice. P. O. Templeton, R. 1. R. 65.92 ac., sec. 4; R. 280 ac., sec. 3. (3.) Owners, J. and W. Friedman, E. Hinkson and B. J. Arnold. Boers, C....

Ralph Bacon Genealogy

The Bacon Family Genealogy descends the Bacon family tree through the children of Ralph Bacon, 2nd. Ralph was born in New York State abt the year 1777. At the age of 17, about the year 1794, he traveled to Painesville Ohio. Eventually acquiring some land there, he would marry Mary Jourden in 1801. In 1820 he moved his family to Crawford County, Ohio, owning houses and land in the townships of Liberty and Whetstone. His wife died 5 Oct 1845, he died 15 Jun 1849. This union would produce 13 offspring, twelve of whom would marry and raise families of their own. This Bacon Family Genealogy is their story.

Murdock Family of Norwich Vermont

Hon. Thomas Murdock removed to Norwich from Preston, Connecticut, as early as 1767 (in which year he was recorded a voter in town), and located on the farm a little north of Norwich Plain and subsequently occupied by Jared Goodell, George Blanchard, Harvey Knights, and now by Judd Leonard. He married Elizabeth Hatch (sister of John and Joseph Hatch, early settlers in Norwich), to whom were born: Asahel, Constant, Jasper, Thomas, Jr., Anna, who became the wife of Ebenezer Brown, Esq., the first lawyer to locate in Norwich, and Margaret, who married Elisha Partridge, November 14, 1765. Mr. Murdock was prominent in both state and local matters, the offices held by him being noticed in other chapters of this book. He died Dec. 5, 1803, followed by his wife in 1814. Asahel, the eldest son, was a voter in Norwich as early as 1782. He married Elizabeth Starkweather in 1779, and they became the parents of six children. He returned to Connecticut in 1800. Constant was a voter in Norwich as early as 1784. By his first wife, Sarah Jewett, he had one child, and by his second wife, Lucy Riley, he had eight children. His home was in the fine residence now occupied by Albert Davis, on the hill a little north of Norwich village. He died in Norwich in 1828, aged 67 years. His first wife died in 1790, aged 22 years, and his second wife in 1825, aged 48 years. Jasper was born October 5, 1759. It is likely that he came to Norwich with his father. He erected at Norwich Plain an elegant private residence...

Migration of Families out of Norwich VT

At the first enumeration of the inhabitants of eastern Vermont, as made by the authority of New York in 1771, Norwich was found to be the most populous of all the towns of Windsor County, having forty families and 206 inhabitants. Windsor followed with 203, and Hartford was third with 190. The aggregate population of the county (ten towns reported) was then but 1,205, mostly confined to the first and second tiers of towns west of the Connecticut River. Twenty years later, in 1791, Hartland led all the towns of the county with 1,652 inhabitants, Woodstock and Windsor coming next with 1,605 and 1,542 respectively. Exceptional causes made the little town of Guilford (now numbering scarcely more than one thousand inhabitants), till after the year 1800, the most populous town in the state. In Norwich, the great falling off in the size of families in recent years is seen in the fact, that in the year 1800, the number of children of school age was 604, out of a total population of 1,486, while in 1880 with a nearly equal population (1,471) it was but 390. In the removal of large numbers of the native-born inhabitants by emigration, we must find the principal cause of the decline of our rural population. Preeminently is this true of Norwich. The outflow of people began very early and now for more than a century there has been one unbroken, living stream of emigration pouring over our borders. Several families that had first located here became, before the close of the Revolutionary War, the pioneer settlers of Royalton, Tunbridge, and Randolph. Some of...

History of Norwich Vermont Education

From the town records it appears that the first attempt to divide the town into school districts, was at a town meeting held November 19, 1782, when John Slafter, Elijah Brownson, Ithamar Bartlett, Joseph Loveland, Paul Bingham, Joseph Hatch, Daniel Baldwin, Abel Wilder and Samuel Brown, Jr., were made a committee for that purpose. Soon thereafter the committee reported that they “could effect nothing on the business of their appointment,” and were discharged. No further move in town meeting towards districting the town for school purposes appears to have been made until March 30, 1785, when, on petition of persons residing in the southeastern part of the town, the territory, to be described, was embraced in a district designated as the “First School District: Beginning at the southeast bound of Norwich; thence running on the line between Hartford and Norwich, two miles; thence northerly so wide as to include Benjamin Hatch and Benjamin Burton and Mr. John Knight; thence easterly so as to take into s’d district Nathaniel Brown, Esq., Esquire Elisha Partridge and the Rev. Lyman Potter; thence due east to Connecticut River.” At a town meeting held March 14, 1791, districts Nos. 1 to 12, both inclusive, were established; March 13, 1798, district No. 13 was organized; No. 14 (from the consolidation of districts 9 and 10) in 1818; No. 15 (Bicknell), in 1827; No. 16, March, 1828; No. 17, June, 1828; No. 19, March, 1834; No. 20, Oct. 20, 1834; No. 18 (Podunk), 1841. At a town meeting held in May, 1834, it was “voted to set off Ira Baxter, Isaac Partridge, Cyrus Partridge, and Calvin...

Norwich Vermont in the Revolutionary War

The sources of information in regard to the part taken by the town in the Revolutionary struggle are few and scanty. The earliest allusion in the town records to this important epoch of the country’s history is found in the election of a Committee of Safety at the annual town meeting, March 11, 1777. This committee was five in number: Deacon Joseph Smalley, Samuel Hutchinson, John Hatch, Captain Hezekiah Johnson and John Hopson. There is much reason to believe, however, that this was not the first Committee of Safety that acted for the town; but was a new committee selected to conform to a recommendation made to the towns in Cumberland and Gloucester Counties by the Convention at Westminster which declared the independence of Vermont the preceding January.1 It is pretty certain that a company of militia was organized in Norwich as early as the year 1774 or 1775. Of this company Peter Olcott was chosen Captain and Thomas Murdock, Ensign, doubtless by the votes of the men enrolled in the same. The company was probably a purely voluntary organization of patriotic young men, in Colonel Seth Warner‘s regiment of Rangers in 1775, in the continental service. Colonel Timothy Bedell, of Haverhill, N. H., also raised a regiment the same year for service in Canada. Fresh regiments were enlisted early in the spring of 1776, by both Colonel Bedell and Colonel Warner. Again on the 7th of March Colonel Morey writes to the New Hampshire Committee of Safety: “Some recruiting officers from Colonel Warner‘s party [regiment] have enlisted a considerable number of fine men, they had the money to...

Church History of Norwich Vermont

The great achievement of the first generation of Norwich settlers was the building of a meeting house. More than any other event of the time, with the possible exception of the accomplishment of the national independence, this was an undertaking that enlisted the energies and taxed the resources of our forefathers. The building of a meeting house in a New England frontier settlement a century ago was regarded a matter of public concern, to be supported by the whole community without regard to sect or party, like the opening of roads or any other public charge. In less than ten years from the time the first clearing was made in Norwich, the preliminary steps were taken to provide a meeting house to be used for the accommodation of the whole people in the public worship of God. The question of the location of this building was sharply agitated, re-resulting in a keen competition between different sections of the town for the coveted distinction, inasmuch as the location of the house was supposed to fix the site of a possible future village where much of the business of the town would be transacted. When it became apparent that no agreement could be reached, a locating committee of three men from out of town was chosen and summoned upon the ground to decide where the meeting house should stand. The formal report of this Committee as made at the time has recently been found among the papers of the late W. H. Duncan, Esq., of Hanover, N. H., and by the kindness of Honorable Frederick Chase has been furnished to the...

History of the Baptist Church at Norwich Vermont

In Norwich, as elsewhere, the Baptists were the first of the dissenting sects to contest the ground with the dominant New England orthodoxy. Soon after the settlement of the town we find mention made of Baptists here, and it is probable that a few of the very earliest settlers were of that faith. The following documents are transcribed from the town records: Willington [Ct.] October ye 6, 1780. “This may Certify all Persons whom it may Concern that Calvin Johnsen of Wellington is of the Baptist Persuasion and is one of the society of the Baptist Church in said Willington and is ready to help to support the gospel in that order. “Andrew Main, Clerk” “Willington, September 24, 1784. This may certify that James Johnsen belonged to the Baptist society and his father and mother are Baptist. Signed in behalf of the Church, “Andrew Main, Church Clerk” The above certificates were doubtless procured and lodged in the town clerk’s office by the persons whose names they bear, with a view to exempt themselves from taxation for the support of the Rev. Mr. Potter, the settled minister of “the standing order” in the town at that time, as well as to relieve them from expenses for the building of the first meeting-house then in progress. A law of the state early made taxation for these purposes compulsory on all taxpayers who did not thus prove their connection with some other church organization differing in religious sentiments from the majority of the town. This law, called the “ministerial act,” continued in force till the year 1801, when it received important modifications...
Page 2 of 41234

Pin It on Pinterest