James Smith, pioneer, was born in Franklin county, Pennsylvania, in 1737. When he was eighteen years of age he was captured by the Indians, was adopted into one of their tribes, and lived with them as one of themselves until his escape in 1759. He became a lieutenant under General Bouquet during the expedition against the Ohio Indians in 1764, and was captain of a company of rangers in Lord Dunmore’s War. In 1775 he was promoted to major of militia. He served in the Pennsylvania convention in 1776, and in the assembly in 1776-77. In the latter year he was commissioned colonel in command on the frontiers, and performed distinguished services. Smith moved to Kentucky in 1788. He was a member of the Danville convention, and represented Bourbon county for many years in the legislature. He died in Washington county, Kentucky, in 1812. The following narrative of his experience as member of an Indian tribe is from his own book entitled “Remarkable Adventures in the Life and Travels of Colonel James Smith,” printed at Lexington, Kentucky, in 1799. It affords a striking contrast to the terrible experiences of the other captives whose stories are republished in this book; for he was well treated, and stayed so long with his red captors that he acquired expert knowledge of their arts and customs, and deep insight into their character.
An extensive collection of material relating to Autauga County Alabama genealogy, includes vital records, cemeteries, census, history, and other records.
(See Grant and Foreman)-Nannie, daughter of Spencer and Margaret (Proctor) Shelton was educated in Tahlequah District and Female Seminary. Married at Tahlequah, James L., son of Mr. and Mrs. Peebles. They are the parents of: Joseph Lawrence, James Shelton, Charlotte May, Edgar Vann, Vera E., Robert, Virginia and Spencer Peebles. Mr. Peebles is farmer near
W. E. Peebles, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Elgin, Ill. When one year old his parents came to Bremer County, Iowa. His father practiced medicine. In 1867, they came to Decatur, Neb.; in 1868, he attended Parson’s College at Cedar Rapids; remained there two years; then returned to Decatur, and clerked in a