Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Progressive Men of Western Colorado

This manuscript in it’s basic form is a volume of 948 biographies of prominent men and women, all leading citizens of Western Colorado. Western Colorado in this case covers the counties of: Archuleta, Chaffee, Delta, Eagle, Garfield, Gunnison, Hinsdale, La Plata, Lake, Mesa, Mineral, Moffat, Montezuma, Montrose, Ouray, Pitkin, Rio Blanco, Routt, San Juan, and San Miguel. Woven in the narratives of it’s people, however, is the story of Colorado. Initial expeditions by European settlers in this area were for trade with the Natives or as a throughfare to California further west. It wasn’t until one of those wagon trains came a man name of Ralston and he dipped his pan into a creek which would later bare his name and pulled out a troy ounce of gold, worth $5 at the time. A decade later, and other miners began to claim the land in the eastern Colorado area. Pushing ever westward in search of the golden dust they eventually found their way into western Coloado. Some of these miners would eventually settle in the area of their mines and became Colorado’s first residents. Some would have their claim luck out and would stay taking up other responsibilities such as ranching, politics, merchandising, etc. In these people’s lives became the story of Colorado – so while this volume is comprised almost solely of biographies, it is also comprised of the history of early Western Colorado. Click on the page number to view the biography. SurnameGivenMiddleView Bio BurgerFrankMPage 17 TaylorEdwardTPage 18 ZerbeAllenLPage 21 VeatchWilliamLPage 23 HarpHoraceSPage 24 GeorgeAlfredPage 25 BrownHoraceGPage 26 HeatonWilliamVPage 27 ThompsonBenjaminHPage 28 WatsonBenjaminKPage 29 SherwoodBenjaminPage 30 DicksonAmosJPage...

Fisher Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine

Jonathan Fisher was born in New Braintree, Mass., Oct. 7, 1768, settled at Blue Hill July 13, 1798, and died in the town Sept. 22, 1847, aged seventy-nine years. He married Miss Dolly Battell, of Dedham, Mass., April 2, 1796, and brought her to Blue Hill, where she ever after resided. She was born Feb. 24, 1770, and died Oct. 1, 1853, in her eighty-fourth year. Their children were as follows: Jonathan, Sally, Betsey, Josiah, Nancy, Willard, Polly, Dolly, and Samuel

Witham Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine

Andrew Witham was born in Bradford, Massachusetts, Nov. 11, 1768; came to Blue Hill a young man; married, first, Mehitable Kimball, May 9, 1790. She was born Jan. 24, 1770; died Aug. 8, 1800. There were four children by that marriage as follows: Charlotte, John, Mehitable and Harriet. Mr. Witham married second, Molly Parker, Oct. 20, 1801; daughter of Col. Nathan and Molly (Wood) Parker, born May 30, 1770; died July 13, 1830. They had two children: Ira and Otis. Mr. Witham married third, Mrs. Ann Chadwick, April 12, 1831; she died July 2, 1836.

Stover Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine

Jeremiah Stover. He was born in Penobscot Dec. 5, 1770; came to Blue Hill a young man, built the house referred to before 1800. He married, Dec. 16, 1793, Abigail Devereux. He was a farmer and tanner and currier. The family consisted of nine children, as follows: Lois, Abigail, Jonathan, Hannah, Newton, Jeremiah, Lydia, Cynthia, and Martha.

Norton Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine

Capt. Steven Norton and family occupied the Ray-Stevens-Norton place after Mr. Stevens for some years, just how many the writer cannot state. He was a sea captain, born in the town of St. George, Me., March 22, 1789; came to Blue Hill, where he continued to make his home until his death Jan. 6, 1873, aged nearly eighty-six years. He commanded coasting vessels between the town and Boston until age and infirmities compelled him to retire from a sea life. Captain Norton was twice married— first Jan. 18, 1813, to Mehitable, daughter of Andrew and Mehitable Kimball Witham, born Aug. 28, 1797; she died July 10, 1835, leaving ten children. On Nov. 27, 1835, he married, second, Clarissa Carleton, daughter of William and Pamelia (Osgood) Carleton, born Feb. 7, 1813; died Nov. 17, 1873, aged sixty years and eight months. She also bore ten children, so that by two wives there were twenty as follows: By first wife: Mary, John, Stephen, William, Mehitable, Sophia, Priscilla, Frederick, Catherine and Lois. By second wife: Harriet, Hollis, Clara, Francis, Granville, Clara, Mehitable, Stephen, Ann and John. Beside these John Havlin was an adopted son of the family.

Stevens Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine

Theodore Stevens, who was born in Andover, Mass., July 12, 1763, and came to Blue Hill in 1791. Theodore Stevens’ wife was Dorcas Osgood, whom he married Oct. 4, 1791. Their children were as follows: Elizabeth, Edward, Benjamin, Lydia, Lucretia, Elvina, and John. This genealogy provides descendants down in some cases 2 generations.

Hinckley Genealogy of Blue Hill, Maine

Bushrod W. Hinckley was a lawyer, and for a number of years the only one in town. He was born in Thetford, Vt. He married Sarah F. Wilcox, by whom he had children as follows: Ellen, Francis, Caroline and Hattie. Mr. Hinckley died Dec. 17, 1869; Mrs. Hinckley July 5, 1889.

The Settlers of Narraguagus Valley Maine

A glance at the map of the western part of Washington County will show that any treatment of the early settlement upon the Narraguagus River, necessarily involves more or less of the histories of Steuben, Milbridge, Harrington and Cherryfield. Steuben was formerly township “No. 4, East of Union River,” and No. 5 comprised the territory now included in the towns of Milbridge and Harrington. The town of Cherryfield is composed of No. 11, Middle Division, Brigham Purchase, and of the northeastern part of what was formerly Steuben. All that part of Cherryfield lying south of the mills on the first or lower dam was, prior to 1826, a part of Steuben, and was called Narraguagus to distinguish it from the settlement in the southwestern part, which was called “Head of the Bay,” and the post office at Cherryfield was called “Narraguagus” until within some twenty-five years past. What is now the flourishing town of Milbridge was a part of Harrington until 1848. Harrington (No. 5) was incorporated as a town in 1791, Steuben (No. 4) in 1795, Cherryfield (No. 11) in 181G, and the northeast part of Steuben was annexed to Cherryfield in 1826. I find that prior to the incorporation of Harrington, that township and No. 11, Cherryfield, held their plantation meetings and kept their records as one organization. At that time most of the settlers in Harrington lived at Mill River, where the earliest settlement was made. There was no settlement at what is now Harrington village until several years later. I have found it impossible to ascertain the date of the very earliest settlement upon the...
Page 1 of 41234

Pin It on Pinterest