Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

Disbursements to Cherokees under the Treaty of May 6, 1828

Abstract of disbursements and expenditures made by George Vashon, Indian Agent for the Cherokees west of the Mississippi, under the stipulations of the Treaty with said tribe of 6th May, 1828, between the 16th September, 1830, and the 31st December, 1833. In total this list represents 390 Cherokee families and 1835 individuals who each received 25.75 as part of their payment under the 5th article of the treaty of 6th May, 1828.

Seneca County New York Genealogy

A guide and directory to Seneca County New York genealogy, containing both online and offline resources for genealogy and historical research. This article contains sources of genealogical data about Seneca County such as biographies, cemetery records, census records, church records, court records, family records, land records, military records, naturalization records, and vital records.

Seneca County New York Newspapers

The first settlers in Seneca County had little time for reading papers, and they had very few to read. At Geneva was published in 1797 the Ontario Gazette and Genesee Advertiser, by Lucius Carey; in 1800 the Impartial American, or Seneca Museum, by Ebenezer Eaton; and in 1806 The Expositor, later, Geneva Gazette, by James Bogart. Other of those primal presses were located at various points, but the difficulties of distribution made their circulation local. The pioneer printer of Seneca County was George Lewis, who, in the year 1815, started in the village of Ovid a small sheet entitled the Seneca Patriot. As will be observed, the history of journalism in Seneca County has been little less than a struggle for existence. For more information consult: History of the Seneca County New York Press Unfortunately, no historical paper published in Seneca County has had any issues published online. We know of microfilm, however, which has been created of various issues, some quite voluminous and we can only hope that in the near future somebody will convince one of the local historical societies or libraries to share that microfilm with them so that it can be more widely published online. The following information is an attempt to provide details into not only the history of Seneca County New York newspapers, but also the sources available online and offline for the genealogist and historian to access the newspapers, or transcriptions therefrom. Newspapers remain a vital source of material for genealogists. They often provide vivid insight into the lives of our ancestors unlike other factual records, and should not be overlooked when...

The Ontario Group Of Mines

The Ontario Group Of Mines, which are now owned by Michael Carey, state senator, are located on Warm Spring creek, twelve miles west of Ketchum, in Blaine county, Idaho. They yield galena ore silver and lead and the veins extend east and west, dipping toward the south, and average from three to three and a half feet in width. The ore has an average yield of forty per cent, lead, eighty ounces of silver and three dollars in gold to the ton. These mines are worked by tunnels, which thus afford drainage and permit the ore to be run out on tracks. They were first discovered by John Boyle in 1880, were purchased by the Warm Springs Consolidated Company, and, as stated, are now the property of Senator Carey. The group consists of the following mines: Ontario, Hub No. 2, Niagara, Hathaway, Sunday, Gopher, Kalemet Fraction, Log Cabin, Michigan Fraction and the North Star. Half a million of dollars have been taken from the Ontario. The Star has been a good producer, also the Sunday, and the others have not as yet been worked so extensively. There is a good concentrating mill, costing twenty thousand dollars, on the property, and quite a number of tunnels have been made, the longest being three hundred feet. All the mines in this vicinity produce rich ore, and there is no doubt but that the Ontario will yield to its owner valuable ores for many years to come....

Knox Co., Ky

KNOX CO. (Stewart Carey) Some slaves were owned in Knox Co., most of them being in Barbourville where they served as house-servants. The negro men worked around the house and garden, while the women were cooks and maids. The slaves usually lived in small one-room houses at the rear of their masters home, and were generally well fed and clothed. There was some trading of slaves among the Barbourville and Knox County owners, and few were sold at Public Auction. These public sales were held on Courthouse Square, and some few slaves were bought and sold by “Negro Traders” who made a business of the traffic in blacks. Occasionally a negro man would be sold away from his family and sent away, never to see his people...

Biographical Sketch of Mrs. Emma Carey

(See Downing and Thompson).-Emma McDonald was born at Fort Gibson, August 13, 1871, educated at Western Female Seminary, Oxford, Ohio, and Presbyterian Mission, Muskogee, from which she graduated. She taught five years in the public schools of the Cherokee Nation. Married at Fort Gibson January 27, 1894, William Vann Carey, educated in the Cherokee public schools and Male Seminary. He was a handsome man of charming personality, had the inherent polish of a scholar and wrote an excellent hand. He was elected Clerk of the Cooweescoowee District August 3, 1885, and August 1, 1887, and was President of the Cherokee Board of Education from 1893 to 1897. He died June 19. 1900. Mr. and Mrs. Carey were the parents of: Fiona Vann, born October 28, 1895, graduated from Stevens College, Columbia, Missouri, and is a commercial artist in Chicago. Sansa Vera Pann, born April 5, 1897, educated at Stevens College Conservatory of Music, and is one the Lyceum and Chautauqua circuit; Majora Bartles, born November 27, 1898, graduated from Stevens College and is instructor in Domestic Science in Nowata City Schools; and William Vann Carey is a member of the 1922 class at Westminster, Fulton, Missouri. William Vann Carey was the son of Rev. Walker and Malinda (Downing) Carey and Mrs. Emma Carey is the daughter of Jack and Jane (Scott)...

Biography of Hon. Michael Carey

Hon. Michael Carey, a member of the Idaho state senate (session of 1899), and one of the leading mine-owners of the commonwealth, now residing at Ketchum, Blaine County, is a native of the Emerald Isle. He was born December 12, 1844, a son of Michael and Mary (Tracy) Carey, both of whom were natives of Ireland, whence they crossed the Atlantic to the United States in 1850, bringing with them their family of seven children. They settled in Keweenaw County, Michigan, where the parents spent their remaining days. The father was a man of intelligence and a surveyor by profession. Both he and his wife were members of the Catholic Church. Mr. Carey departed his life in the sixty-fourth year of his age, and his wife passed away in her fifty-sixth year, both being buried in northern Michigan. Senator Carey is their youngest child, and was only six years of age when the family arrived in the United States. He acquired his education in the public schools of northern Michigan, and at the age of sixteen years began to earn his own livelihood by working as a miner in Houghton County, Michigan, where he remained until 1864, when he went to California by way of the Isthmus route and mined in Mariposa County for six years. On the expiration of that period he went to Silver City, Idaho, and accepted the position of manager of the mines there, serving in that capacity for eight years. In 1878 he accepted the management of the Virtue mine, at Baker City, Oregon, where he remained for two years, and in 1881 came...

Biography of Charles H. Carey

CHARLES H. CAREY. – Among the younger generation of men of enterprise and push who have come to Oregon to develop with the rapid progress of the state, Charles H. Carey, of Portland, is a notable figure. He was born at Cincinnati, Ohio, October 27, 1857, and lived there with his parents until he came to Oregon in 1883. He had the advantages of thorough schooling in the public schools of his native city, and entered the sophomore year at Denison University, Granville, Ohio, in September, 1878. He graduated in June, 1881, with the degree of Ph. B. Having in the meantime determined upon the practice of law as his avocation in life, he at once began a course of study to fit himself for its exacting requirements. He matriculated at the law school of the Cincinnati College in the fall of 1881, and was appointed librarian. Having under his charge the large and well-selected law library of that college, he had peculiar facilities for indulging his taste for study and original investigation, a privilege which he by no means neglected. He contributed a number of articles to law magazines, and wrote extensively on various subjects for current newspapers and periodicals. He completed his course at the law school in 1883, receiving the degree of LL. B., and was also admitted to the bar of the supreme court of the state of Ohio. Having determined to locate in the West, Mr. Carey spent several months visiting different Western cities; and on arriving at Portland in September, 1883, he at once determined to remain there, being impressed with the advantages...

Pin It on Pinterest