Discover your family's story.

Enter a grandparent's name to get started.

Start Now

History of the Methodist Church at Norwich Vermont

Prior to the year 1800, Methodism had scarcely gained a foothold in Vermont. The first Methodist society in the State is said to have been formed at Vershire by Nicholas Suethen in 1796. Two years later, only one hundred church members were returned as residents in the Vershire Circuit, then including the whole of eastern Vermont. Zadock Thompson, in the first edition of his Gazetteer of Vermont, published in 1824, gives the number of preachers, traveling and local, at that time as about one hundred, and the number of societies much greater. Probably no religious body ever made so rapid a growth in the state or the country as did the Methodists during the first twenty-five years of the nineteenth century. Although largely outnumbering every other at the present time, its later rate of increase is comparatively slow. We have no information that fixes the time at which Methodist meetings began to be held in Norwich. The earliest preaching was by circuit preachers, and of these Eleazer Wells and Nathaniel Stearns were among the first. Both of these men had the certificates of their ordination to the ministry (as early as 1810 or 1811) by Bishop McKendree entered upon the town records, and both doubtless labored here more or less about that time. Rev. Amasa Taylor was also here some part of the time about 1813. About 1815, the first church building was erected by the Methodists, a wooden structure of modest dimensions, which stood near the forks of the highway leading from Union Village to Norwich Plain, and about two miles south of the former place. Some members...

Biography of Henry C. Beeman

Henry C. Beeman, who has for many years been connected with the detective and police departments, and is at present chief of police for the village of Canandaigua, Ontario county, New York, is a son of Reuben Beeman, who was a farmer throughout the active years of his life in the town of Canandaigua, on the east shore of the lake. Henry C. Beeman was born in Canandaigua, October 8, 1847. His school education was received in Canandaigua Academy. For many years of his life he took a personal interest in farming, and for a few years was engaged in the brokerage business. He entered upon his career as a detective in 1872, when he filled the office of deputy sheriff and a few months later went to New York, where he was in the employ of the Pinkerton agency until 1874. He then returned to Canandaigua and for some years was engaged in special detective work, again becoming deputy sheriff in 1877, an office he held until 1884. He became manager of the Canandaigua Steam Boat Company in 1889, retaining this position for a period of six years. In 1896 he was appointed chief of police for the village of Canandaigua, an office he has filled since that time to the satisfaction of all concerned. His political affiliations have always been with the Republican party. June 23, 1863, Mr. Beeman enlisted in Company C, Fifteenth New York Cavalry, and was honorably discharged, August 23, 1865. He was in the Custer division of Sheridan’s army for the greater part of this time, participating in all the notable engagements in...

Pin It on Pinterest