Bickford, George W.
The following data is extracted from History of Madison County, Indiana.
GEORGE W. BICKFORD. Mr. Bickford has been a resident of Anderson for more than twenty years and during the greater part of that time has been one of the faithful and efficient men in the postal service, He comes from good New England stock, and was born in the village of Rochester, New Hampshire, June 11, 1856, a son of John H. and Mary Jenks Bickford, both natives of New Hampshire. The father was a carpenter by trade and worked in that line the greater part of his life, and did well by his family.
George W. Bickford grew up in New England, attained his primary education at Great Falls, now Summersworth, and after getting a common and high school education entered the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy at the age of fifteen. He then clerked in a drug store for seven years, in Boston, Massachusetts, From Boston he moved out to Kansas, and was a resident and business man at Phillipsburg until 1891, In that year he returned to Indiana, and located at Anderson, In 1896 Mr. Bickford became a government employee as a letter carrier, and for seventeen years has quietly performed a service which has brought him both esteem and recognition as one of the important factors in his local work of the city. He has filled his office under different postmasters, and is now one of the oldest men in this service in this city, He is a Democrat in his political affiliations.
On April 6, 1881, Mr. Bickford was married in Kansas to Miss Katherine Hanlon, who was born, in Connecticut, a daughter of John Hanlon, of Philadelphia. Their union has been blessed with the following children: Walter N.; Laura M.; Leo and Roy.
In Masonic circles, Mr. Bickford is one of the best known members in Anderson, and has his affiliations with Mount Moriah Lodge No. 57, F. & A. M.; Anderson Chapter No. 52, R. A. M.; Anderson Council No, 69, R. & F. M.; Anderson Commandery No, 32, K. T. For thirteen years he served as secretary of Mount Moriah Lodge, He is a member of the Methodist church, The Bickford home is a pleasant residence at 120 W. Fifth street.
Source: History of Madison County, Indiana