Hill, Forrest J.
The following data is extracted from History of Madison County, Indiana.
FORREST J. HILL. Two of the important industrial enterprises that are lending commercial prestige to the city of Anderson, are those represented in the Hill Machine Company, and the Hill-Tripp Pump Company. Of the first named, Forrest J. Hill is secretary and treasurer, and of the latter he is treasurer, as he also is of the Hill Stage Company. Mr. Hill is one of the aggressive business men and public spirited citizens of Madison County, where he is well known and held in high esteem, so that there are many reasons why he should be given specific recognition in this history of the County and its representative citizens.
Mr. Hill claims the Buckeye State as the place of his nativity, and belongs to a staunch pioneer family. He was born at Carlisle in Warren County on the 31st of August, 1859, and is a son of Jasper N. and Rebecca (Keiser) Hill, the former of whom died at Anderson on July 1, 1909, and the latter died in 1881. The name Hill has been long and conspicuously identified with general business enterprise in the city of Anderson, and Jasper N. Hill was the founder of the extensive concern with which his son Forrest J. is now actively and prominently identified. Jasper N. Hill was a native of Pennsylvania, and established his residence in Ohio when a young man. He became one of the substantial business men of Montgomery County, that state, where he continued to maintain his home until 1862, when the family came to Anderson, Indiana. In 1889 was effected the organization and incorporation of the Hill Machine Company, of which he became president, and the other officials were likewise members of the family, namely: Forrest J. Hill, secretary; Hugh A. Hill, treasurer, and Ernest N. Hill. superintendent. The present officers of the company are: Hugh A. Hill, president; Forrest J. Hill, secretary and treasurer; and Ernest N. Hill, general manager. The Hill Machine Company operates with a capital stock of forty-five thousand dollars, and its large and well equipped plant is situated at the corner of St. Charles and Twenty-third Streets. The main building is one hundred and ninety by eighty feet in dimensions, containing the machine shop with an extension of sixty-five feet by eighty feet containing foundry and further extension containing cupola, rattler, flasks, pig iron etc. An "L" that is sixty-five by one hundred and fifty feet in dimensions is used for offices and for shipping and crating rooms, as well as for the general sales department. The other apartments are the pattern shop, pattern storage, boiler room, etc. The manufacturing department is equipped with the most improved machinery and power for its operation is furnished by electric motors of seventy-five horse p0wer. In the establishment are manufactured steam, electric and power pumps, especially those designed for the pumping of water from wells of great depth.
The products of the Hill Machine Company have gained a wide sale, and the trade extends through the various sections of the United States as well as into South America and Europe. Jasper N. Hill was numbered among the most progressive business men and the most honored citizens of Anderson, and contributed much to the furtherance of the civic and industrial prosperity of his community. After his retirement from business affairs, he continued to live in Anderson until death came as an end of his mortal endeavors, when he was in the fullness of years and well earned honors. His career was guided and governed by the highest principles of integrity, he was strong in his convictions and ever ready to do his part in supporting measures and enterprises advanced for the general good of the community. His name is remembered with lasting honor in Madison County, and he made his life productive for good in its every relation.
Forrest J. Hill is indebted to the public schools of his native city for his earlier educational discipline, after which he attended the public sch0ols of Anderson, completing his studies in the high school. He then entered his father's factory, where he gained a thorough knowledge of the practical details of the business and soon became a valued assistant in the conduct and management of the enterprise. In the field of manufacturing his advancement has been steady, and his 0wn ability and energy haye won him success. In every respect Mr. Hill has well upheld the high prestige of the honored name which he bears. He is one of the liberal and representative business men of Anderson, is a staunch Republican in his political belief, and takes an abiding interest in all matters touching the social and material progress and prosperity of his home city.
Mr. Hill married Miss Tillie Granger, a daughter of Dow Granger of Noblesville, Indiana. The four children of their marriage are Forrest Jr., Hester, Marybelle, and Mildred.
Source: History of Madison County, Indiana