The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
DAVID WOLFF. In the whole range of commercial enterprise no interest is of more importance than that representing the sale of groceries. This fact is recognized and appreciated by all thoughtful and intelligent persons. In this connection we take pleasure in calling attention to a house which, though only established since 1883, has already proved itself to be indispen-sable to the locality. David Wolff is a native of the Buckeye State, born in Ross County January 2, 1852, and is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth Wolff, both of whom died in Ohio. This worthy couple were the parents of seven children, only two besides our subject now living: Charles A., who is still in Ohio, and Fredrick, who is in Kalamazoo, Mich. One son, William, who died in 1883, was a soldier in the Civil War as was also Charles and Fredrick. John, another son, died after reaching mature years, and the remainder of the children, daughters, died young. The Wolff family settled in Ohio at an early date and the father of our subject was a merchant there. He was a native of Germany and came to this country when young. David Wolff attained his growth in his native State and was about nine years of age when his father died. He received his scholastic training in his native town and when twenty-one years of age started out to make his own way in life. He first engaged in mining at Joplin and at Ozark, and was thus engaged for about ten years, after which he left the mines and engaged in the grocery bus-iness with W. H. H. Miller on the east side of the square at Ozark. This was in 1883, and he and Mrs. Miller continued together for five years, after which our subject came to his present location and carried on the business by himself until 1892. He then took as a partner Z. A. Johnson and they are now doing a thriving business. For about fifteen years Mr. Wolff has been a member of the I. 0. O. F. Lodge No. 206, Ozark, and has held office in the same. He is also a member of the A. O. U. W., Finley Lodge, Ozark, No. 257. In his political views he advocates the platform of the Republican party, and takes a deep interest in the success of the party. He has ever been interested in the building up of the city and is a popular and enthusi-astic business man. He is the owner of considerable farming land and also owns real estate in Ozark. Mr. Wolff was married in Ozark to Miss Callie A. Johnson, and two children are the fruits of this union: Charles A. and Roscoe. Mr. Wolff and family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church and Mrs. Wolff is a member of the same. This family is well liked in Ozark and Mr. Wolff is well known as a thoroughgoing, practical business man. He has held a number of city offices and has filled them all in a very creditable manner.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894