Perry, G. T. B.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
G. T. B. PERRY. The practical value of shrewdness and discrimination combined with strict probity is exemplified in the prosperous condition of those who transact business on these principles. Mr. G. T. B. Perry, a prom-inent general merchant of Ozark, has a reputation for honorable dealing built up out of the practice of these invaluable principles. He is a product of the Blue Grass soil of Kentucky, Logan County, near Russellville, and is a son of John T. and Mary E. (Ewing) Perry, both natives of Kentucky. The grandfather, Samuel Perry, was a native of Virginia, and the family came from the East and settled in Kentucky at an early day. The father of our sub-ject was reared in the last named State and remained there until 1867, when he came to Missouri, locating two miles west of Ozark, on the Finley River. There he tilled the soil until his death in 1873. He was a wagon-maker by trade and followed that while residing in Kentucky. In political matters he was a Democrat, but was conservative and was not in favor of secession. He was an exemplary member of the Christian Church. The mother was the only child of William Ewing and came of an old and prominent Kentucky family, being related to Congressman Ewing of that State. Mrs. Perry is still living and resides on the old home in Ozark. Although about seventy years of age time has dealt leniently with her and she is still spry and active. Six of the children born to this esteemed couple are now living, as follows: Amanda J., now Mrs. Perrin, of Kentucky; William E., who died in 1883, resided on the old home place; G. T. B., subject; Quietus, on the home place; Alfred is living at Nixa, this county; Rad, who is in the Cherokee Nation; James R., who died young; John B. died in 1882, and Mamie, wife of Mr. Simes, resides in Clinton, Missouri Mrs. Perry is a member of the Presbyterian Church, is an active and earnest Christian and an excellent woman. G. T. B. Perry remained in his native State until seventeen years of age, and during that time supplemented a common-school education by attending Bethel Col-lege in Russellville, Kentucky After leaving school he became a teacher, following that profession for twelve years in Christian and Greene Counties, Missouri, in Arkansas and in the Nation. He became well known as a successful educator all over the Southwest, and his services were in great demand. He began teaching in Ozark in 1868 and continued there until 1880, when he embarked in merchandising the following year. He is now doing an annual business of from $16,000 to $20,000, and has proven himself a gentleman of honorable principles, possessing the full trust of his patrons. Mr. Perry is active in political matters and advocates the platform of the Democratic party. He was elected to the office of county treasurer in 1882 and held that position four years. While he lived in Newton County he held the office of township clerk. As before stated, he taught in the Cherokee Nation four years and educated a large number of Indians. Fraternally Mr. Perry has been a member of the I. 0. O. F. since 1873, and has held the office of secretary. He is a member of Finley Lodge No. 205, and is also a member of the Royal Arca-num. In the month of August, 1869, Mr. Perry was married to Miss Nannie A. Williams, a native of Kentucky, and the daughter of Robert H. and Ema-line (Bailey) Williams. Four children have blessed this union: Grace F., the wife of J. B. Hampton, of Springfield, Missouri;John F., attending high school at Springfield; Rose F., also in school, and Mona G. in school. In the spring of 1887 Mr. Perry moved to Springfield to educate his children, and resides at 719 North Campbell Street. He owns property in that city as well as in other places, and is a prosperous business man. He has given his hearty support to enterprise for the improvement and building up of Ozark, and is deeply interested in educational matters. He and family hold membership in the Christian Church.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894