Vaughan, Granville H.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
GRANVILLE H. VAUGHAN. The occupation of farming is one that has received attention from the earliest ages, and it is not to be wondered at that it has become the art that it is at the present time. Among those who have shown a satisfactory knowledge of this calling, and whose operations are con-ducted in a very progressive manner may be mentioned Granville H. Vaughan, who is the owner of a valuable farm in Finley Township. He first saw the light of day in Rutherford County, Tennessee, in 1831. His parents, James and Nancy (Hatchett) Vaughan, were natives of the Old Dominion, the former born in Mecklenburg and the latter in Charlotte County. The parents were reared and married in their native State, and after the birth of their first child, or in 1811, they removed to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, where Mr. Vaughan kept hotel for some time. He boarded representatives to the Legislature when that was the capital of the State, it being in David Crockett's time. Mr. Vaughan also followed farming and superintended the construction of some of the turn-pikes that enter Murfreesboro, and was in official life for some time. He was a man of learning and ability, and of considerable note. During the War of 1812 he furnished a substitute. He was constable for a number of years, this being an important and remunerative office at that time. In 1842 he came by ox team and a one-horse carriage to Christian County, Missouri, being three weeks on the road, and located in the woods about five or six miles south of Ozark, then in Taney County, where he improved one of the finest farms in that section. He made a good fortune in farming and stockraising, and there died in 1869, when eighty-nine years of age. He was one of the pioneers of that section and was well and favorably known. It is supposed that his father was a Scotchman and that his mother was of German nativity. They reared a large family, the father of our subject being the only one who came to Missouri. The mother of our subject died about 1876. Her parents passed their entire lives in the Old Dominion. Mr. Vaughan was twice married, his last wife being Elizabeth Davis, who bore him three children, as follows: Henry, a farmer of this county; Richard, now of Oklahoma, and Joseph, now on the old home place. The original of this notice was the youngest of thirteen children, as follows: Parks died in Tennessee when young; Catherine married Reuben Bowles and died in Nashville, Tennessee; Jordan was a soldier in Price's army and died of fever the day of the battle of Pea Ridge; Perlina was the wife of Nathaniel Pipers and died in west Tennessee; Harriet married James Sloan of Gibson County, Tennessee; Thomas, a wealthy man and the father of Judge James Vaughan, of Springfield, Missouri, died at Ozark in 1883; Elizabeth, widow of Dr. Samuel Bowles; James, of Arkansas; William, of Oregon; David, a prominent physician, died in Bedford County, Tennessee (he was a soldier in the Confederate Army and later became surgeon); Julia, deceased; Mary E., deceased, was the wife of John H. Wisner; and our subject. The latter early learned the duties of farm life, and in addition to a common-school education, attended the school in Springfield. When about twenty years of age he began for himself as a farmer, and this has been his chosen occupation ever since. On the 7th of January, 1858, he was married to Miss Mary E. McGaugh, who was born on her father's old farm near Boling Park, Greene County, Missouri Her parents, James and Marinda (Davis) McGaugh, were natives of Marshall County, Tennessee, where they remained until about 1836, and then came to Greene County, Missouri, settling about three miles north of Springfield, adjoining Boling Park. Mr. McGaugh afterward returned to Tennessee, but later moved to Mississippi, where he followed farming until his death. Mrs. McGaugh is still living, is seventy-six years of age, and resides in Christian County. She is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Her father, Joshua Davis, who came to Greene County, Missouri, about 1836, and who located near Boling Park, was one of the most conspicuous characters of his day. He was a crip-ple and something of an invalid, but his mind was unusually active and bright. He was clerk of the court of Greene County for twelve years, and was editor and publisher of The Lancet, and also The Mirror, for many years in Springfield. He was a brilliant orator, a man of much influence, and an able and active politician. His death occurred in 1856, and his son, William P., suc-ceeded him in journalistic work. To Mr. and Mrs. Vaughan have been born seven children, viz.: Flora, wife of George C. Hursh; Waldo Burke, a manu-facturer of Carthage; Granville Joshua, at home; Virginia, wife of Scott Mas-sey, a prominent attorney of Springfield; Lena N., wife of Hall Given, of Leon, Kan., a railroad operator; Luther A., at home, and Ella, at home. Soon after marrying, Mr. Vaughan located on his present farm in the woods, and now has 130 acres, all under a good state of cultivation. Politically Mr. Vaughan and his people were originally Whigs, but since the war he has advo-cated the principles of Democracy. He sympathized with the South during the Rebellion but took no part. Mrs. Vaughan is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, and the Vaughan family is one of the best in the county. DR. JOHN D. COLLINS. The professional career of a skilled and devoted physician ever furnishes material of great interest to all readers, and the life narrative of Dr. Collins is no exception to this general statement. He is a practicing physican and surgeon and druggist of Highlandville, Missouri, and although still in the dawn of the success which has attended his efforts in a professional way, he has already given abundant evidence of the ability which qualifies him for a high place in the medical profession. Dr. Collins was born in this county, Finley Township, near Ozark, on the old Collins homestead in 1854, to the union of John and Mary C. (Cowden ) Collins, natives of what is now Marshall County, Tennessee, the father born March 13, 1819, and the mother July 13 of the same year. The elder Collins was a great student, a fine mathe-matician and a man of more than ordinary ability. Previous to his marriage to the mother of our subject he had married a Miss Willis who bore him no children. Mrs. Collins, mother of subject, was also married previous to her union with Mr. Collins, her first husband being Saunderson Cook, by whom she had one son, Dr. W. C. Cook, a prominent physician who held a chair in the Nashville Medical College at one time, and was health officer for Davidson County at the time of his death. Mr. Collins removed to the Lone Star State in 1851, but in 1853 came North and landed in Christian County, then Taney County, and settled four miles south of Ozark, where he improved a good farm of several hundred acres. There he passed the remainder of his days, dying February 8, 1888, and was buried on the home farm. His wife died April 10, 1891. She was a member of the Christian Church and an excellent woman. All his life Mr. Collins followed the occupation of a farmer, and being enterprising and thrifty amassed a considerable fortune. For two years during the war he was sheriff of the county, and later he was twice elected to the office of surveyor and was appointed to that position once. He was a Union man but did not take sides during the war. Socially he was an Odd Fellow and a prominent man in many ways. His father, Henry Collins, was a native of North Carolina, and of Scotch-Irish descent. The latter followed the occupation of a farmer and removed to Tennessee at an early day and there died. He was the father of the following children: Willis, died on the Gulf and was buried on an island during the war; Holland, of Tennessee; Henry; James, a stock dealer; Sidney, wife of T. L. White, of this county; Maggie, now deceased, was the wife of Alex. Glen, of this county; Edna, who was the wife of Frank Waddel, died in Springfield; Nancy is the wife of a Mr. Cook, of Arkansas; and Mary, wife of James Richardson, of Marshall County, Tennessee Our subject's maternal grandparents died many years ago and very little is known about them. They had several children, and a son, Hon. Humphrey Cowden, was a member of the Tennessee Legislature from Marshall County in 1860, and voted for secession. One daughter removed to Texas and lived to be eighty-five years of age. Another daughter, Sallie, became the wife of Paine Davis, a lawyer of Lewisburg, Tennessee Two of their children died young. Dr. John D. Collins was fifth in order of birth of nine children, as follows: Fannie, wife of J. T. Deeds; Henry Clay was a soldier in the United States Army, and part of the time was on the plains fighting the Indians; James W. is residing in the old neighborhood; Susan J., wife of J. M. McLean; Thomas Holland died young; Alexander H. is a farmer residing near Ozark; Lucy M., now deceased, was the wife of G. King, and Joseph L., on the old place. Our subject grew to manhood on the old homestead and attended the common schools. Later he read medicine with Dr. W. C. Cook, of Nashville, Tennessee, and in 1878 and 1879 attended the medical department of Vanderbilt University at Nashville. In 1880 he graduated from the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis and began practicing at Highlandville, and has since practiced among the people with whom he was reared. He has an extensive practice in Taney, Stone and Christian Counties, a radius of twenty miles, and has the confidenceand respect of all. He is a member of the Christian County Medical Society. In connection with his practice he also carries on the drug business and has followed the same since 1887. On the 28th of September, 1873, he was married to Miss Pardella J. Alexander, a native of Christian County and the daughter of George W. and Rebecca J. Alexander, and step-daughter of John A. Williams of Ozark. Mr. Alexander died while in the Confederate Army. To Dr. and Mrs. Collins have been born seven children: Lulu Mellie, A. Gretz, Effie Lorena, Nora Gertrude, Belva Corla, William Frank and Neal. The Doctor is a member of Highlandville Lodge No. 331, I. 0. O. F., and was its first N. G. Mrs. Collins is a member of the Christian Church.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894