The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
HARRISON HASKIN, Ozark, Missouri Whatever may be said by demagogues about the tyranny of capital, the man who affords employment to his fellow men and maintains industries which turn out articles of utility does more real good for his generation than all the combined agitators of the country. Under existing civilization the only possible solution to the problem of the prevention of want and suffering is found in the great manufacturing plants, which have the capital necessary to pay wages to the many before pay is received for the goods. A glance at the thriving city of Ozark, Missouri, shows numbers of large factories whose busy wheels sing merrily of fair wages, comfortable homes, intelligence, contentment and peace, the result of capital's effort to add to itself. One name stands out prominently in this connection, Harrison Haskin, who is engaged in the manufacture of harness and saddles. He has been a resident of this city since 1888 and is now one of the foremost business men of the place. He was born near Kingston, Canada, May 13, 1862, and is a son of Squire Haskin, who was formerly a farmer, but is now residing in Wichita, Kan. Our subject was educated in Harrison County, Iowa, where he lived from his fourth to his fifteenth year, and then went to Kansas, where he learned his trade. He served a three year's apprenticeship at Wilmington, Sumner County, Kan., and about the year 1886 he opened up a business of his own at South Haven, that county. In 1888 he came to Ozark and established his business. He manufactures all grades of harness and saddles and supplies a large scope of country. He has a large line of fine goods and thoroughly understands his trade. Mr. Haskin is a member of the I. O. O. F. lodge, Ozark, No. 206, and in politics is a Democrat. He was married in the Sun-flower State to Miss Flora Hart, daughter of Thomas Hart, who is now residing in Memphis, Tennessee Three children have blessed this union: Leona, Mar-gueretta and Helen. Mr. Haskin and wife are worthy members of the Meth-odist Episcopal Church and are public-spirited and enterprising citizens. Mr. Haskin was the fourth in order of birth of eight children, secured a fair education in his youth, and the fine start he has made is the result of his own efforts. D. R. RIGGS. This prominent and law-abiding citizen has been a resident of Douglas County, Missouri, for many years, and his career here has been an exceptionally honorable and useful one. He was born in Maury County, Tennessee, May 20, 1832, a son of Alvis and Petronila (Ray) Riggs, natives of the Old North State, where the grandparents were also born. Samuel Riggs, the paternal grandfather, was a soldier of the Revolution, and died in the State of his birth. The maternal grandfather, David Ray, was a merchant by occupation, and was an honorable, upright man. Alvis Riggs became a resident of Tennessee in an early day, and after following the useful and honest life of the farmer in Maury County, died there in 1849. His widow came to Missouri with her son, D. R. Riggs, later returned to Tennessee, but during the progress of the war she was brought back to Missouri by her son, and quietly breathed her last in Springfield in 1890. Her union with Mr. Riggs resulted in the birth of nine children: Griffin, who died in Illinois in 1855; William S., who is living in Springfield, Missouri; David R., in Douglas County; Margaret J., who lives in Springfield, has been married three times, and is now the wife of Mr. Shaw; John C. is a farmer four miles northwest of Ava; Robert was killed while serving in the Confederate Army; James is a farmer of Polk County, Missouri; Peter died in Springfield in 1885; and Mary E., wife of A. McCracken, died in Stone County in 1884. The mother of these children was a worthy member of the Christian Church. David R. Riggs was a single man when he came to this State, and in Springfield he was married to Miss Lucinda McQuerter, a daughter of J. S. McQuerter. She was born in Coles County, Missouri, and after her marriage with Mr. Riggs they engaged in the hotel business in Springfield, which they conducted during the war. After that time they moved to Taney County, where Mr. Riggs sold goods, farmed and raised stock, and was also in the milling business at Forsyth from 1867 to 1887, when he removed to a farm four miles from Ava, and since 1893 has resided in the town. He has built him a handsome home, and is now dealing extensively in stock, which he has found to be a very profitable business. He is one of the " old timers " of this part of the State, is a very shrewd and successful business man, and is widely and favorably known. He has always been a Democrat in politics, is prominent in all public affairs, and he and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist Church. His hotel in Springfield was destroyed by fire in 1866, but he is nevertheless wealthy, and besides his pleasant home in Ava, owns the farm four miles from town, and also a farm in Christian County. He and his wife have four children: Petronelia and Louisa, twins, Alvas J., who is a cattle buyer of Springfield; and David R., who is living on a farm in Christian County. The eldest daughter is the wife of W. A. Wilson, of Forsyth, while the second is the wife of T. W. Davis, of this county.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894