Jones, Lemuel R.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
LEMUEL R. JONES. Among the most esteemed and respected citizens of the town of Western Grove there is not one who has been a more faithful sol-dier, a more pleasant or agreeable member of society, or a more thorough and sagacious business man than Lemuel R. Jones, who is now notary public and postmaster at that place. His life of industry and usefulness, and his record for honesty and uprightness have given him a hold upon the community which all might well desire to share. He is a native of the State of Missouri, born in St. Francois County, February 1, 833, and ninth in order of birth of a large, old-fashioned family of children born to Solomon and Elizabeth Burmam Jones, natives respectively of North Carolina and Tennessee. The parents were married in the latter State, but later moved to Missouri, where they made their home until 1834, when they came to Pope County, Ark, There Mrs. Jones died about 1836. Mr. Jones afterward moved to Searcy County, and about three years later moved to Newton County, where he married Miss Elsie Lane, and here passed the remainder of his days, dying about 1856, when seventy-six years of age. He was a farmer and one of the pioneers of Arkansas, residing here nearly a quarter of a century. His children were named as follows: Elizabeth; Nancy, Fannie, deceased; Benjamin, a farmer of Newton County, who was a soldier in the Civil War, Company D, Second Arkansas Cavalry; Thomas, who died in Searcy County, was in the same company, as was also John W., who was killed in the Mud Town battle, Arkansas, August 30, 1863; Isaac died young; Maria, Maberry and three other children died before the birth of Lemuel R. Jones, who passed his youthful days in assisting his father on the home place, receiving limited education, and is mainly self-educated, and that since the war. He selected his wife in the person of Miss Cevina Gillmore, a native of Big Creek, Newton County, Arkansas, and their nuptials were celebrated August 26, 1853. Her death occurred in 1888. Eleven children were born to this marriage, viz.: William Riley, post-master at Red Rock, Newton County; Benjamin; Jesse Newton; Sarah, wife of George W. Chambers; David C.; John Kelsey, sheriff of Newton County; Alabama, wife of James Wellis, of Cherokee Nation; Columbus L..; Paralee; Uriah S. and Garfield. In August, 1888, Mr. Jones married Mrs. Elizabeth Osborn, daughter of John Sanders. He located on Big Creek, resided there until 1876, and then moved to Limestone Valley, where he followed farming and mercantile pursuits until 1884. He then went to Deadwood, Dak., and on to Montana, for his wife's health, expecting to locate if agreeable. But he was not satisfied, and later he sold out and returned to Arkansas, where he has since made his home in Western Grove. July 19, 1863, he joined Company D, Second Arkansas Cavalry, and for nine months served as a private. After the company was completed he was made second lieutenant, and served nine months, when he resigned November 11, 1864, and returned to his family in Newton County. In 1868 he was elected sheriff, but served only a short time, when he was obliged to resign on account of his health. December, 1868, he was appointed by Gov. Clay-ton justice of the peace of White Township, held that position twenty years, and was considered by many as the best informed justice of this section of the State. October 2, 1890, he was appointed notary public and the following year postmaster, and has held both positions since. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., Bluff Springs Lodge No. 103, Western Grove, and has been a member since 1858. He is also a member of the chapter at Jasper, and was a delegate to the Grand Lodge in 1883. He was Worshipful Master eight years in all. Aside from this he is a member of Vanderpool Post, G. A. R., No. 47, at Western Grove, and is adjutant. Both he and Mrs. Jones are members of the Church of Christ. He was appointed president of the Board of Registration in 1866 and 1867.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894