The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
JOHN MALOY, deceased. Although the gentleman whose name heads this sketch has " passed to that bourne whence no traveler returns," his walk through life was characterized by so much honor and such an earnest desire to benefit his fellows and the section in which he resided, that his memory will remain green in the hearts of the many citizens of Stone County, Arkansas He was born in Bengal, County Tyrone, Ireland, and when but a lad crossed the stormy ocean to America and landed at Quebec, thence to New York, from which place he went to Memphis, Tennessee, and in 1844 to Sylamore, on the White River in Arkansas, where he built, if not the first, one of the very first stores ever erected in that place. He afterward cleared a farm on White River, near his store, and embarked in the raising of stock, and at that time the only thing that prevented the stock business from being a paying one, was that bears and wolves made too many raids on his flocks. Later he moved near Mountain View, and at a still later period to the headwaters of the Sylamore, where his career was closed by death in 1891, at the age of eighty-five years. His wife, Ann Finley, survives him with seven children, but bore him eight children: James, the eldest son, was killed in a street car accident in St. Louis in January, 1894; Isaac F. was a merchant and postmaster at Mountain View for some time, but is now a farmer; John resides in Richwoods and is a farmer; W. F. resides on the old homestead; Mary is the wife of Judge Cothron of Stone County; Nancy is the wife of David Dodson, of Mountain View; Ireland is the wife of S. N. Cooper, who farms near Mountain View. J. L. Maloy was born on May 21, 1859, and in his youth was given the advantages of the common schools of Stone County, and after reaching manhood taught school for some time. He was then engaged in farming on the old home place for a few years, then located in Timbo, and with his brother James, opened a general mercantile store, which partnership lasted until 1888, since which time J. L. Maloy has been in business by himself, and for some time ably discharged the duties of postmaster of Timbo under Harrison's administration. Mr. Maloy also gives considerable attention to farming, an occupation to which he had been reared, and has found this business to be both profitable and pleasing. In 1887 he was united in marriage with Miss S. N. Tubbs, a daughter of Dr. Tubbs, of Timbo, and they have a comfortable and hospitable home. Mr. Maloy is a stanch Republican, but has never been an office-seeker.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894