Wasson, Wesley B., Dr.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
DR. WESLEY B. WASSON. The value to any community of a professional man is not marked merely by his learning and skill, his proficiency in medical and surgical practice, but also by his character both private and professional, his honorable adherence to medical ethics and his personal integrity and benevolence of purpose. When a physician combines these characteristics it is with great pleasure that we record his life-work, and such a man do we find in Dr. Wesley B. Wasson. Although but just starting on his career in the medical profession, this young physician and surgeon has already become prominent in his calling and has the confidence of all. He was born on Spring Creek, in Stone County, in 1862, and is a son of John T. and Caroline (McCullah) Was-son, the former born in Darke County, Ohio, February 29, 1820, and the latter in Tennessee, March 10, 1830. Although the father received but a limited education in his youth he was a man possessed of a great amount of good common sense and good judgment. About 1852 he came down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers to the mouth of Arkansas River, then up that stream to Ft. Smith, and then by land across the country to Stone County. There he stopped for a time with Alex. McCullah, and soon after married his daughter. From that time until 1867 he remained in Stone County, and then moved to Christian County, locating on Finley River, where he now has a good farm. He is one of the honest, industrious and well-to-do farmers of his section, and has made his property by honest toil. During the war he served for a time in the Home Guards, but later was in the Missouri State Militia, doing consider-able service. He was greatly harassed by both armies. The Federals were camped on his farm for some time, destroying his stock, fences, etc., but he never received any compensation for his losses. Mr. Wasson was one of five sons and four daughters, and he and his sisters Serena Gibson and Isabella Hoover are the only ones who came to this State. His father, David Wasson, was born in Ireland, and soon after marriage came to the United States, locating in Darke County, Ohio, where he followed farming until his death. There his wife died also. Our subject's maternal grandfather, Alexander McCullah, was born in Virginia, but was married in Tennessee, and about 1849 came to what is now Stone County, where he tilled the soil until his death in 1856. His wife died a number of years previous to this. Dr. Wesley B. Wasson was the fifth in order of birth of five sons and four daughters, as follows: Lucy, wife of George E. Hawkins, of Stone County; James A., farmer and stockraiser, of Christian County; John C., a prominent farmer of Christian County, as is also William A., the fourth child in order of birth; Wesley B., our subject; Frank M., a miller; Flora, a teacher; Nannie and Gertrude. Until nineteen years of age our subject remained under the sheltering home roof, and received his scholastic training in the common schools, to which must be added two years in Marionville College. He then branched out as a teacher, and followed that profession for six years in Christian County. He had always evinced a strong liking for the medical profession, and, as early as sixteen years of age, all his spare moments were spent in reading medical works. After he had ceased teaching, he passed some time in a drug store with R. N. Gray, of Ozark, and read medicine with Dr. J. H. Fulbright. Later he took three courses in the Kentucky School of Medicine, at Louisville, and in 1890 graduated from the University at that place. After practicing a short time at Nixa, in Christian County, he located at Crane in 1888, and now has a lucrative practice. He is president of the Crane Milling Company which took possession of the mill in March, 1893. This is the most complete and best-operated roller mill in Stone County, having a capacity of thirty barrels per day. It has three sets of rollers, and manufactures the " Nancy Hanks" and "White Satin" brands of flour, all sold in the local markets in Stone, Barry, and Christian Counties. Dr. Wasson was married April 2, 1890; to Miss Ella Keltner, a native of Greene County, and the daughter of Frank Keltner, of Christian County. Mr. Keltner came from Tennessee when young, and is one of the early settlers of that section. He resided for a number of years in Greene County. There were born to this union two children: Blanch Patter-son and Carl Forbis.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894