Davis, A. B., Dr.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
DR. A. B. DAVIS. The humanizing influences of Christianity are shown in thousands of directions, but in none to a more marked degree than that of medicine, and although there are pretenders in every profession who for a time may overshadow those more worthy, yet they eventually reach their level and the deserving are then shown in their true light. One of the young but already prominent physicians of Marion County, Arkansas, is Dr. A. B. Davis, of Powell. He was born in Adairsville, Ga., April 18, 1857, a son of P. R. Davis (see sketch of J. F. Davis). He was about twelve years of age at the time the family came to Arkansas, and the most of his literary education was obtained in this section, although his initiatory training was obtained in the State that gave him birth. When about twenty years of age he began the study of medicine with Dr. R. J. Pierce, and he received his first course of lectures at Little Rock, but gave up this work and for some five or six years was engaged in teaching school. He then for some time followed mercantile pursuits at Powell, and then went West and for six months was a resident of California. In 1891 he returned to Arkansas and again took up the study of medicine, and in 1891 took a course of lectures at Little Rock. He then located and practiced for some time at Powell, but not being satisfied with the knowledge he had obtained of his profession, he entered the Medical Department of the Nashville University, of Nashville, Tennessee, and there pursued his studies in 1892-3, after which he returned to Powell, where he has since devoted his time and attention to the treatment of the many diseases to which suffering humanity is heir. He seems to have a natural aptitude for the calling, and being careful, painstaking and conscientious in his labors, he has met with remarkable success and has probably lost fewer cases in the time that he has practiced his profession than any other physician in the county. He is an active member in the Marion County Medical Association, the State Medical Association, takes a prominent part in all public doings and is secretary of Jefferson Lodge of the A. F. & A. M., of which he has long been a member. He was married in 1878 to Miss S. Magness and to their union five children have been given: Nola M., Della, P. R., J. B. and Duncan Eve. In a business way the Doctor has met with success, and he is the owner of an excellent farm of 200 acres two miles north of Powell, which is occupied and tilled by a renter. He and his wife are attendants of the Methodist Church, they have many friends in the section in which they reside, and move in the best social circles. The Doctor is built upon a broad gauge and believes it to be his duty to gain knowledge from whatever source it may come, so it be reliable and valuable. His range of information is wide, and his chief thought is the alleviation, as far as may be, of the sufferings of his fellows.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894