Fulton, William J., Rev.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
REV. WILLIAM J. FULTON. The career of this gentleman is one well worthy the respect of all, for he has for many years labored faithfully for the good of others, and on many occasions has cast aside personal considerations in order to do this. He was born in Robertson County, Tennessee,, November 26, 1840, and was there reared and educated. His parents, William and Elizabeth (Chapman) Fulton, were also born in that State, the birth of the former occuring in 1809. He was a son of Ira Fulton, who was one of the very early pioneers of the State. William Fulton followed farming in Tennessee, until 1851, when he moved to Greene County, Missouri, and located on a farm where he lived until his death, which occurred October 1, 1891. He was a successful farmer and stockraiser, and in politics was a Republican. His wife died in 1880 at the age of sixty-five years, after having become the mother of eight children, four of whom are living: William J. Fulton; Rebecca A., who was first the wife of John Morrisett, and after his death the wife of David Cinnamon, or Webster County; Christopher C., who owns a good farm nine miles southeast of Springfield, Missouri; Benjamin A., resides on the old homestead, is a man of family and a farmer by occupation; Mary; Amanda, and two infants deceased. The mother of these children was a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The subject of this sketch has resided in Missouri since he was eleven years of age and obtained his education in this State and Tennessee. After starting out in life for himself he followed school teaching for six years in Greene, Christian and Douglas Counties, and was then called to the ministry and connected himself with the General Baptist Church. He has been engaged in his ministerial duties for the past fifteen years, and is located near Rome, Douglas County, Missouri, and attends the church near Arno, but preaches at other points. He has done noble service for the Master, and has increased the membership of his church very greatly. He resides on a farm about twelve miles from Ava, comprising 160 acres, and is one of the successful and prosperous farmers of the county. In 1861 he enlisted in the Home Guards, but in 1862 became a member of the Eighth Missouri Cavalry. with which he served until July 20, 1865, as first corporal of Company E. He was at the battles of Prairie Grove, Brownsville, Little Rock and Duvall's Bluff, but owing to sickness, did not serve regularly. He is a stanch Republican in politics, a member of the G. A. R., and belongs to Freeport Post No. 307. He has always been active in politics, is prominent in the affairs of the county, and is a member of Ava Lodge No. 26 of the A. F. & A. M., and I. 0. 0. F., Douglas Lodge No. 319. He was married in Christian County to Miss Sarah J. Stubbs, a daughter of Robert and Arnetta (Friend) Stubbs, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Fulton was born in Christian County, Missouri, in 1845, and she and her husband have nine children: William R., is a man of family and a farmer of this county; Leota; Aaron N., is a man of family and resides in Greene County, Missouri; Sarah E.; Amanda A.; Isham C., died at the age of three years; Della L.; Benjamin H. and Marvela. Mr. Fulton is a public-spirited gentleman, and is a useful, law-abiding citizen. DR. GEORGE W. THOMPSON. Dr. George W. Thompson is a successful follower of AEsculapius at Cave Creek, Arkansas, and through abilityand well merited success has built up a practice that is eminently satisfactory. He is a product of Caldwell County, Kentucky, born in 1836, and the son of William R. Thompson who was born in Claiborne County, Tennessee, in 1807. The father was liberally educated in his native State and was there married to Miss Elizabeth Wells, also of Tennessee, and a lady of more than ordinary intelligence. She was born in Knox County in 1809. About 1834 the parents removed to Caldwell County, Kentucky, and in 1854 came by wagon to Monroe County, Arkansas, but after remaining there a short time removed to Lawrence County, where Mr. Thompson died in 1855. Four years later the mother received her final summons and both are interred in that county. She was a worthy member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Thompson followed the occupation of a blacksmith and wagonmaker and was an industrious, hardworking citizen. Our subject's grandfather, Ephraim Thompson, was probably born in the highlands of Scotland, and when but a boy came to America, locating in east Tennessee. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and an officer. His death occurred in Mobile, Ala., and his wife passed away in Knox County, Tennessee James Wells, the maternal grandfather, died in Knox County, Tennessee He was of German origin and was a farmer and overseer. Of the thirteen children born to his parents our subject was fourth in order of birth. The others were named as follows: Louisa, who was the wife of Atmond Knighten, died in Fulton County, Arkansas; Lucinda, who was married to William Norris, died in Sharp County; Minerva Jane, deceased, was the wife of John Norris; Catherine, deceased, was the wife of William Johnson; Margaret, deceased, was the wife of James Boyd; William, a single man, died at Petersburg during the war in which he served as a Confederate soldier; Angeline, single, died ill Lawrence County; Mahala, single, died in Fulton County; the next two died unnamed James died young and Nora died young. Our subject is the only one now living of the above mentioned children. He was reared to farm work and also assisted his father in the shop, in the meantime receiving a fair education. When about eighteen years of age he determined to fathom the theory and practice of medicine and succeeded. He first began studying with Dr.James Parker, in Lawrence County, practiced some, and in 1858-9 attended Louisville Medical College. After that, for two years, he practiced in Lawrence County, and in June, 1861, enlisted in Company D,Seveth Arkansas Infantry, State troops, serving for a few months. There was then a call for Confederate troops for three years, and he enlisted in the Tenth Missouri light Artilery as assistant Surgeon and served twelve months ill Tennessee, Kentucky and Missori. Returing home on a furlong he was obliged to remain there, for the Federals had taken possession of the river. Later he enlisted in the Second Arkansas Cavalry as assistant surgeon and operated in Arkansas and Missouri until the close. He was on Gen. Price's raid in Missouri and Kansas, ad was captured in Prairie County, Arkansas, just before the surrender. He was held four days and the released on account of his being a surgeon, was sent to Little Rock with city limits, where he remained until the final surrender. Following the war he located in Fulton County, for four years, and afterward spent the same length of time at Calico Rock, after which he located in Baxter County,where he remained six years. From there he removed to Boone County and four years later came to Newton County, where he resided near Mount Hersey for some time. From there he moved to Cave Creek and is one of the oldest and most prominent physicians in this section, having practiced for about thirty-five years. He has also been engaged in the drug and grocery buisness nearly all the time and at present is carrying on that business at Cave Creek. In the year 1865 he was married in Lawrence County to, Miss Mary E. Goforth, a native of Giles County, Tennessee, and the daughter of Hazel and Sabree Caroline Goforth, who moved from Tennessee to Lawrence County about 1850 and died there after the war. To Dr. and Mrs. Thompson have been born eight children: Samuel H., died in infancy; James C., died when two years of age; Minerva Jane, died when foutrteen years of age; Marcus B.; Ada Ann, wife of J. M. M. May; C. W.; William R., died when six years of age; and Ida Belle, died in infancy. In politics the Doctor has ever been a Democrat, and his first presidential vote was cast for J. Buchanan in 1856. He and wife have been members of the Christian Church for a number of years, and he is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of Evening Shade Lodge No. 143, and Chapter at Batesville No. 10.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894