King, H. C.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
H. C. KING. This gentleman is the able cashier of the Boone County Bank, at Harrison, Arkansas, which is one of the most extensive banking concerns in this part of the State, and is doing a successful general banking business. It was established March 3, 1886, with a capital stock of $20,000, and R. S. Armitage was made its president, R. F. King, Jr., cashier, and D. N. Fulbright vice-president, but in October, 1888, the capital stock was increased to $50,000, and R. F. King became president, R. S. Armitage vice-president, and H. C. King cashier. The following board of directors were elected: M. L. Aderhalt, William A. Greever, A. S. Layton, Dr. J. L. Sims, G. C. Rhodes, E. J. Rhodes, G. W. Zigler, R. F. King and H.C. King. A new building for this bank is in process of erection in Harrison, and will be a handsome and modern structure, substantially built. This bank does an extremely large business, and during the late panic in banking circles had the entire confidence of the public. The average deposits amount to about $60,000, and the bank, in addition to its general exchange, annually handles some $200,000 exchange for the extensive stock industry of this section. Since the new organization, in 1888, the bank has paid a dividend of 9 per cent., and carries a 3 per cent. surplus fund. H. C. King was born in Boone County January 18, 1855, the fifth of seven children born to Robert F. and Phoebe C. (Orr) King, natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively, who came to Boone County, Arkansas, from Kentucky at an early day. They opened up a farm in the vicinity of Lead Hill, but at the opening of the war moved to Greene County, Missouri, and at the close of the conflict returned to find the most of the goodly property they had accumulated swept away. They lived in a small log stable the first year after their return, then once more made improvements and lived on the place up to 1875, when they moved to Lead Hill, and in 1879 to Harrison, the father's death occurring in this place. He was a Whig prior to the war, a Union man during that time and a Democrat afterward. His widow and seven children survive him: Frances, wife of David McCord;James M., of Harrison; Samuel, a farmer of the county; Alfred L., also a farmer; Henry C.; Mattie C.;and Robert F., who is president of the above mentioned bank. Henry C. King attended the common schools of the county until he was seventeen years old, at which time he engaged in drug business at Lead Hill, which he followed with some success for three years. However, his taste was in the line of office work, and he secured a position in the county clerk's office, receiving for his services 50 cents per day, out of which he paid his board and bought his clothing. After remaining thus employed for two years he was appointed deputy clerk at a salary of $I per day, and, concluding this was sufficient to support a wife, he accordingly married Ida Crawford. At the end of four years he was made county clerk, and at the end of two terms he retired from politics without being defeated in an election. During the eight years that he was in the clerk's office he pursued the study of law, was connected with the Harrison Times for one year, and in 1884 was admitted to the bar. After practicing his profession for twelve months, he entered the United States Land Office as chief clerk, which office he left to become assistant cashier in the Boone County Bank, where he is now cashier. His wife was born in Missouri, a daughter of Col. Robert W. Crawford, and to them have been given five children: Helen, Ida, Alfred L., Jr., Vera and Edith. Mr. and Mrs. King are members of the Christian Church, and socially he is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. He was for four or five years a member of the board of city aldermen and was for six years on the school board. A Democrat in politics, lie is a man of original and independent views, follows no established forms, but at all times thinks for himself. He is one of the largest stockholders in the BooneCounty Bank, has a pleasant home in Harrison, besides other town and acre property, and is in the enjoyment of a competency earned through his own efforts. While in the clerk's office he secured a patent on what is known as King's Index to County Papers and Records, which is being largely used throughout the State, and he also has an abstract of title for real estate and a bank cash book which are patented and copyrighted. Robert F. King, his brother, president of the Boone County Bank, was born in this county May 14, 1864, and his boyhood days were spent in attending school at Lead Hill, afterward graduating from the Little Rock Commercial College in the class of 1883. He immediately engaged in the insurance business in Harrison, an occupation which has since received his attention, and in connection with his brother, H. C., has conducted a mercantile establishment at Valley Springs, their stock being valued at $4,000. He was also associated in the same business with a Mr. Schweitzer in Harrison for several years, and he and his brother, A. L., and John Morrow built a brick livery stable in Harrison, which they operated for some time. He was in the cotton commission business from 1885 to 1890, and handled 5,000 or 6,000 bales per year, and for several years was engaged in the manufacture of harness and saddles. He is now engaged in selling the Springfield wagon and has speculated largely in real estate, and in addition to his other numerous business ventures has also carried on farming. He has ever been wide awake, pushing and enterprising, and as a result has a considerableamount of this world's goods. He has always been a lover of fine stock, has brought quite a number of fine animals to the county, and has bought and sold cattle, making a success of this line of work. He is a Democrat in politics, is a member of the city council, and his wife is a member of the Christian Church. He was married May 15, 1887, to Miss Walsie Weaver, a daughter of R. B. Weaver, of Rally Hill, and they live in a handsome residence in the south part of Harrison. He is one of the wealthiest men of the county, and what he has has been obtained through his own good fighting qualities. Alfred L. King, another brother, was born in BooneCounty, October 23, 1851,and his boy-hood days were spent on the old home farm. He gained a good education in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-two years was married to Miss Eliza H. Kelley, a daughter of Adam L. Kelley, who settled in Boone County from Tennessee soon after the war. She was born in Tennessee August 26, 1850, and after her marriage with Mr. King located in Lead Hill, where he was successfully engaged in the drug business with his brother, H. C. King. In November, 1876, he moved to Harrison, and here opened a drug store, but sold out two years later and began discharging the duties of justice of the peace, and later of deputy county clerk under his brother, H. C. In 1882 he was elected county and circuit clerk and ex-officio recorder; he held this position up to 1884, then becoming a commercial traveler for a St. Louis house, with whom he remained up to 1885. In June of that year he was appointed receiver of public moneys in the U. S. Land Office at Harrison, a position he ably filled until November, 1889. He then became connected with the Adler-Goldman Commission Company, of St. Louis, and has been their representative since that time. He has since bought, or furnished money to buy, nearly all the cotton raised in northwestern Arkansas. Since May, 1889, he has been a half owner of the harness and saddle company of Frew & King, which is the largest concern of the kind in that portion of the State, and they are engaged in the manufacture of a fine class of goods. In 1893 he bought the Armitage farm of 477 acres, adjoining Harrison, of which 250 acres are under cultivation, and he is now largely engaged in dealing in and raising stock. He has come to be regarded as one of the best business men in the county, is remarkably energetic, public spirited and active. He has been a delegate to State and National conventions. To Mr. King and his first wife four children were given: Henry C., a clerk in the Boone County Bank, and is a promising young man; Ruby G.; Kelley K.; and one that died in infancy. Mrs. King died October 2, 1880, and May 5, 1887, he married Laura G. McCormick; one child, James B., was born of this union. The present Mrs. King was born in Springfield, Missouri, March 26, 1870, a daughter of B. F. McCormick, who died in 1880. He was a stockman of prominence and was honored and respected by all who knew him. Mr. King is a leader in the affairs of his section, and has done his full share in making the town of Harrison the flourishing place of business that it is. The King brothers are of the stuff of which useful and noble citizens are made, and are among the most highly honored men of their section.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894