Elkins, C. B., Dr.
The following data is extracted from Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894.
DR. C. B. ELKINS. The noble profession of medicine affords to the student in that science a never-ending source of investigation and experiment. New remedies are constantly being discovered, steady progress is being made in surgery and new diseases are presenting themselves under varying forms of civilization. In the noble army of workers in this great field may be found the name of Dr. C. B. Elkins, who, since 1888, has resided in Ozark, Christian County, Missouri He came from Cannon County, Tennessee, in 1870, and with his father settled in Christian County about three miles from Ozark. There his father, H. R. Elkins, still resides. Dr. Elkins owes his nativity to Tennessee; in which State his birth occurred in 1862. His mother, Ruth Neely, was also born in that State and was a daughter of Alexander Neely. The Elkins family have been known in America ever since colonial days and have been residents of Tennessee from the very early history of that State. When Dr. Elkins was five years old he was left motherless with a brother and sister. The former, Euclid Elkins, became a man of family and died in Ozark County, Missouri, in 1881, and the latter, Melissa, became the wife of W. L. Phillips of Christian County. After the death of the wife and mother, the father married again and by his second wife became the father of two sons, James T. and William B. James T. is with the Johnson Witty Drug Company, and William B. is with J. L. Lee Tie and Timber Company, Sparta, Missouri The Doctor first attended the district schools of Christian County, and in 1880 began the study of medicine under Dr. I. N. Rogers of Rogersville, Missouri, with whom he remained for some time, after which he entered the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis, and graduated from the same in March, 885. He began practicing his profession with Dr. Rogers, but in 1886 moved to Sparta and two years later formed a partnership with Dr. John H. Fulbright, at Ozark, Missouri, with whom he has since been connected in the practice of his profession, their patronage extending over a large extent of territory, comprising several counties. The Doctor is a member of the Southwest Missouri Medical Association, and socially he belongs to the Ozark Lodge No. 352 of the A. F. & A. M. and the A. O.U.W. The Doctor was married to Miss Alice Flag of Rogersville, a daughter of Capt. S. A. Flag, who was a soldier of the Civil War and died at Marshfield, Missouri, when Mrs. Elkins was but a child, his wife's death occurring in 1882. To their union four children were born. The Doctor and his wife have one son, Ralph, who is a bright and promising lad. Dr. and Mrs. Elkins are worthy members of the Christian Church, and politically he is a Democrat.
Source: Reminiscent History Of The Ozark Region, pub. Goodspeed Brothers, Publishers, Chicago 1894