Bradshaw, John Owen M. D.
The following data is extracted from Muskogee And Northeastern Oklahoma.
Dr. John Owen Bradshaw, a man of high professional attainments, has been identified with the medical fraternity of Welch since 1913, and although he engages in general practice he devotes the greater part of his attention to the treatment of diseases pertaining to the eye, ear, nose and throat, in which he has become recognized as an authority. A native of Missouri, he was born in Lebanon county on the 9th of January, 1875 and his parents were Silas R. and Mary (Bradshaw) Bradshaw, the former a native of Kentucky. The mother's birth occurred in Lebanon County, Missouri, and although she bore the name of Bradshaw previous to her marriage, the two families were not related. In spite of the fact that he was a native of the south, Mr. Bradshaw defended the Union cause during the Civil war as captain of a company of Kentucky infantry, while his father served as a captain in the Confederate army. Silas R. Bradshaw was a successful farmer, also engaging in the raising of horses, mules, sheep and cattle, and through the capable management of his business affairs he won a substantial measure of success. For fifty years he made his home one of the most highly on his farm and as one of the most highly respected residents of his community. He was a stanch republican in his political views and a leader of his party, being a member of the county central committee. His fellow citizens, recognizing his worth and ability, called him to the office of county judge and he also served in other public capacities, never meeting with defeat at the polls. He was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and fraternally was identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
The fifth in order of birth in a family of fifteen children, John Owen Bradshaw attended the grammar schools of Lebanon county, Missouri, until he was thirteen years of age and then entered high school, after which he became a cadet at a military academy in Columbia, that state, completing a three years' course in that institution. From boyhood it had been his ambition to become a physician and with that end in view he entered the Beaumont Medical School at St. Louis, Missouri, which later was merged with the Marion Simms College, and in 1901 he was graduated therefrom with the M. D. degree. From 1901 until 1904 he was a first lieutenant in the Medical Corps of the regular army, resigning his commission to enter the Emsworth Medical School at St. Joseph, Missouri. The year 1905 was spent as interne at St. Joseph's Hospital and in 1906 he opened an office at Louisburg, Missouri, returning to St. Louis two years later for the purpose of attending the American Medical College. He acted as house physician for the hospital connected with that institution and from Washington University received the B. S. degree. In 1911 he did postgraduate work at the College of Physicians & Surgeons of St. Louis and in the following year engaged in practice at Bristow, Oklahoma. In 1913 he established his home in Welch and is now giving the major portion of his time to cases pertaining to the eye, ear, nose and throat, in the treatment of which he has been very successful, while he is also a member of the staff of the Baptist Hospital at Miami. Liberal collegiate training has thoroughly qualified him for the work of his profession and his pronounced ability is demonstrated by the large practice accorded him. He has ever remained a close and discriminating student of his profession and puts forth earnest efforts to increase his knowledge and promote his skill and efficiency. He has extensive land holdings near Welch and until 1917 engaged in raising pure bred short-horn cattle. He has always been a great lover of fine horses and is also a chicken fancier, specializing in White Leghorns, of which he has a large flock.
Dr. Bradshaw has been married twice. He first wedded Miss Bessie Yates of Dallas county, Missouri, who was graduated from the American Hospital at St. Louis. Her parents, Robert and Mary (Gannon) Yates, are representatives of prominent Dallas county families. Mrs. Bradshaw passed away in 1919, leaving a daughter, Mary Margaret. Dr. Bradshaw's second wife was in her maidenhood Lucille Walker, a native of Indian Territory and of Cherokee extraction. Her father, Dan Walker, was also born in the territory and is now a leading merchant of Mount Vernon, Missouri. To this union has been born one child, Jack. By a previous marriage Mrs. Bradshaw had a son, Billy, whom the Doctor has adopted.
Dr. Bradshaw is a veteran of the World war. In 1917 he was commissioned a first lieutenant of the Medical Corps of the United States army and was sent first to Fort Riley, where, owing to his previous military training, he was given the task of drilling members of the medical profession. From there he was transferred to Allentown, Pennsylvania, going from that point to France as a casual and being promoted to the rank of captain. He was discharged from the service in June, 1919, and returned to Welch, where he again took up the work of his profession, having greatly profited by his military experience.
Dr. Bradshaw is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. His professional connections are with the Ottawa County and Oklahoma State Medical Societies and the American Medical Association and while residing at Louisburg, Missouri, he served as secretary of the Dallas County Medical Society. He is a member of the American Legion and fraternally is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He holds to high professional standards, and with progress as his watchword, he has ever kept in touch with the trend of modern professional thought, research and investigation. His natural talent and acquired ability have brought him to a position of leadership in the field. in which he specializes and in every relation of life he measures up to the highest standards of manhood and citizenship.
Source: Muskogee And Northeastern Oklahoma